through the floor

Old 01-07-08, 12:47 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
through the floor

I own a trailer house and the toilet was going through the floor.the floor is 5/8 particle board and had a sheet of vinyl on top,with the joist at 16 oc. my bro patched it with a green board about 32 in x 4ft. and now i want to lay tile down. What do i need to level it to the existing floor? By the way, i'm a diy with two thumbs. please help me!!!
thank you, big thumb

Old 01-07-08, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
patch

Green board? Not water resistant drywall?? Is it like a plywood or strand board? Is it thicker or thinner than your old floor?

You can use self leveling floor compound to smooth it out in the low spots. Thats available anywhere you can get tile.

Just follow the directions on the bag.

Old 01-07-08, 04:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Vic, the picture I get is the toilet is sitting on greenboard. Please tell me I am asleep. First, you will have to remove the toilet completely from the room. Remove all the other stuff on the floor that has been added. If you want to add tile, I would at the very least install 1/2" plywood, then concrete backer underlayment (CBU), by brand name it could be Durock or Hardie underlayment. Then you will have the proper substrate to install the tile. Bring your toilet flange up with you as you add the layers.

Old 01-07-08, 04:49 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 360 Votes on 317 Posts
"green board" - is this PT plywood? 1/2"?

Has the entire bath floor been replaced?

Larry gives good advice you need more than 1/2" plywood [assuming that's what you currently have] under the cement board.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: