Bathroom Bust Up

Old 01-07-08, 01:55 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bathroom Bust Up

I'm basically a new DIYer and not really afraid to learn to do something I can't afford to pay someone for.

I removed the wallpaper from my bathroom because I wondered why it was soft in places. My house is very old and all of the walls are sheetrock and green board, plaster. I would love to paint my bathroom, but now it looks like I have to drywall the entire wall. We have no funds for someone to come in a do this work. Unfortunately, the wall that needs to be replaced has the electrical and water on it. I'm not afraid of demoing the wall, but I'm not a very strong girl, and I don't know about installing heavy drywall. Can someone help me out with the particulars of exactly how to do this? Me nor my husband know much about drywall. (I've seen it installed on tv). Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 01-07-08, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Bust up

Hi Bchili

You didn't really explain what you found when you stripped off the paper. Why were the walls soft? Water damage? And, if you have greenboard behind there, I don't think it can be that old, unless a prior owner did a rehab. I'm not sure, but I think greenboard has been around...mmmm 20yrs ? (anyone, anyone......buehler, buehler??)

Old 01-07-08, 03:32 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I'm pretty sure greenboard was around in the early '70's but my memory ain't as great as it used to be

Can you supply a pic of the wall? use photobucket.com or similiar
It may be possible to repair what you have.

While drywall isn't light, I suspect you would have more problem getting it into the room than you will hanging it. Walls are a lot easier than ceilings

btw - welcome to the forums!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: