Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

do i need to tape and spackle new drywall prior to tile?

do i need to tape and spackle new drywall prior to tile?

Old 01-10-08, 10:51 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question do i need to tape and spackle new drywall prior to tile?

hey friends

quick question here...i had to tear out old drywall under kitchen tile backsplash that im replacing...so i'll be putting in new 1/2" drywall prior to the new tile going up (6" natural stone tile and 1/4" grout line)...do i need to tape and spackle seams on drywall for any reason prior to tile or can i just screw in the drywall and start doing the tile?

thanks
bam

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-08, 10:59 AM
H
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Hi Bam

Yes you should tape and mud the joints. Dont use drywall compound or spackle for this. Use the same modified thinset that you will be using to set the tile. You can actually do this all at once, tape, mud and set tile. Use a good quality white modified thinset for natural stone. DO NOT use mastic with natural stone. No need to prime the drywall prior to setting the tile.

Old 01-10-08, 11:12 AM
B
Question AJ..follow-up question

thank you...ok should i just tape the wall now then?..i bought the mesh sticky tape...is that fine?....then after that, i can do the mastic (white modified thinset) and tile right over that?..since you said to use the same time...in other words, i wont have any mud on the mesh tape until im sticking my tiles on?

thanks again

Old 01-10-08, 12:26 PM
H
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Dont get confused between thinset and mastic. Mastic comes premixed in a bucket. Thinset is a portland cement based product and comes in a bag and gets mixed with water or an additive. Thinset is what you want. You cant and shouldnt use mastic with natural stone. The mesh tape that gets used with thinset is different. It is alkali resistant so it wont be affected by the thinset. You can find this tape in the tile isle at big box stores.

Old 01-10-08, 01:09 PM
B
Smile thanks HJ

thanks HJ....i do appreciate it