Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

for wall tiles...do i use grout or caulk for seam above countertop/below cabinet

for wall tiles...do i use grout or caulk for seam above countertop/below cabinet

Old 01-11-08, 07:47 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question for wall tiles...do i use grout or caulk for seam above countertop/below cabinet

hey friends

tomorrow i will intall 6" natural stone wall tile in kitchen for backsplash...do i rest the bottom row of tile directly on granite countertop or shall i keep it off the countertop by about 3/16" or so (3/16" will be my tile spacing is why i say this)...and would i grout this line (countertop/tile) or use my matching sanded caulk?

Same goes for the row directly beneath my cabinets..do i take it to the cabinet or lower it by say 3/16"...and would i grout or caulk this seam?

Thanks
BAM

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-08, 08:17 AM
grout line

Originally Posted by BMeadBam View Post
hey friends

tomorrow i will intall 6" natural stone wall tile in kitchen for backsplash...do i rest the bottom row of tile directly on granite countertop or shall i keep it off the countertop by about 3/16" or so (3/16" will be my tile spacing is why i say this)...and would i grout this line (countertop/tile) or use my matching sanded caulk?

Same goes for the row directly beneath my cabinets..do i take it to the cabinet or lower it by say 3/16"...and would i grout or caulk this seam?

Thanks
BAM
i have seen it done both ways.if the sanded caulk matches perfectly, it may be easier(if you are good with a caulking gun). i personally like the grout, but it can get messy. good luck.

Old 01-11-08, 08:22 AM
B
Question thanks MikeTN...

yea i consider myself pretty good with the caulk gun so i may do that then..i'll caulk those 2 seams..above counter and below the cabinet...the sanded caulk does match identically...you may think its grout looking at it until you touch it

now how about the gap tho?...would i put the tile right on the counter or raise it slightly?....unless you meant you have also seen that done both ways as well

thanks again
BAM

Old 01-11-08, 09:13 AM
C
Received 97 Votes on 76 Posts
Not a pro, but a rule of thuimb I use is that anywhere there is a transition in direction or material, I use caulk. It's less likely to crack.

I always leave backsplash tiles a bit off the countertop and caulk the joint.

Old 01-11-08, 10:11 AM
H
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Bam

Caulk all joints where dissimilar materials meet and all changes of plane. Leave a gap approx 1/8" between the tile and the countertop. You mention natural stone. Some natural stones are soft and will scratch in the clean up process if you use sanded grout so be aware of that. If you are using a soft stone, you'll wanna make the grout joints 1/8" or less so you can use non sanded grout.

You have quite a few threads going here on this project. It would be a lot easier to give you advice if you stuck to one thread so everyone here knows everything there is to know about your project. You can continue to post to this thread as different questions pop up on your project.

Old 01-11-08, 11:24 AM
B
thanks

thanks to everyone for their responses

HJ...sorry about changing threads when i get new questions..i'll remember for next time to keep the original one going