Kitchen sink cutout

Old 01-11-08, 02:34 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kitchen sink cutout

My quartz countertop fabricator made the cutout for my undermount sink 4-1/2" from edge of countertop to the front of the sink. Is this a standard depth? It seems so far away -- my old sink was only 2" from the edge of the countertop, which for me, is preferable. However, he didn't ask me my preference before fabricating -- the installer said the 4-1/2" is standard. There is really no limitation on the cabinetry to require the extra depth. I guess nothing can be done now, just curious.
Thnx.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-08, 02:42 PM
C
Received 96 Votes on 75 Posts
My granite cutouts are 3 1/2" and 4". I think the extra width gives added strength in an otherwise relatively weak spot on the countertop.

Old 01-11-08, 03:36 PM
C
We usually put them at 3 1/2" to 4" from the front edge and this will clear tilt out trays. Any further back makes it narrow at the back crowding the faucet. The 2" setback you mention on your old sink was probably to the rim front, so it would be another 2"+- to inside the sink.

Old 01-12-08, 12:11 PM
T
With an undermount sink, there is no rim. Thus, more countertop is exposed.

Old 01-15-08, 04:41 PM
W
Arghhhh! (venting)

I really wish they had installed the sink closer to the CT edge. The faucet is too close to the wall! The handle of the faucet I'm using:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gourmet-Kitchen-...QQcmdZViewItem

nicks the backsplash when it's turned on fully. Even an extra 1/2 inch would be helpful. Besides how can anybody clean between the faucet and backsplash?? All my materials are standard -- I can't believe this installation is industry norm...

Old 01-15-08, 06:34 PM
C
Undermount sinks do have rims. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they're not there. They're usually about 1" wide, but sometimes narrower, depending on manufacturer. In this case 1/2" further forward could have made a difference in faucet operation. A 3cm backsplash doesn't help either, but I know that's what is usually used.