advice question prior to beginning remodel

Old 01-16-08, 09:52 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
advice question prior to beginning remodel

My husband and I are thinking about remodeling our entire house. Currently it is a 1.5 bath and 2 bedroom. We are going to convert it into a 2 story house with a master bedroom/bath upstairs and add 1 additional bedroom and sunroom and change around several walls. Currently we have a very small kitchen. We are talking about several areas where we can make the kitchen. I pretty much want to completely move the kitchen to a different area. My husband wants to expand the kitchen. If we expand the kitchen then a bedroom will pretty much have a door that enters in the middle of the kitchen. Any way we move the door will require it to walk right into the kitchen or dining room. The bathroom we are adding will also enter into the kitchen area, but we can make a Jack and Jill bathroom so that the person in the bedroom can go into the bathroom without going into the kitchen/dining room area. He thinks that a hallway will be a waste of space.

I think that that will be awkward and that we need a hallway separating the kitchen from the bedrooms.

We have not drawn out any specific plans, but we are just trying to get a basic idea of what will work at this time.

Thanks in advance

Christie

Old 01-16-08, 10:40 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Bathroom off the kitchen.. no big deal... Bedroom off the kitchen... kindasorta goofy (if you ask me)...

Old 01-16-08, 01:50 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
A small hallway will likely resolve the issues of bathroom location and the problem with the bathroom entry being in the kitchen or diningroom. Neither a bathroom off the food prep area or the dining area sound very appealing. Often, it's possible to have a mudroom at the back entry into the kitchen and locate a bath off the mudroom. Depending on size of the addition and layout of the areas in question, it is likely possible the layout issues can be overcome. By working with an architect or general contractor, you can have plans that can overcome floor plan design issues and that can be taken to the local Building Code office for approval, permits, and scheduled inspections.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: