1950's Double Washboard Sink Resurfacing

Old 01-22-08, 11:07 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1950's Double Washboard Sink Resurfacing

My husband and I are in the process of buying a home. The home was built in the 1950's and it has the original double washboard porcelian sink. The previous owners instead of resurfacing the sink just painted it white. What do I need to do to restore this sink?

Old 01-22-08, 02:12 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I have yet to hear of a "good" DIY process for repairing/recoating porcelain. To be done right - it is a labor intensive/specialty chemical process to be left to professionals. If you can remove the sink and take it to a company that specializes in such work (google porcelain repairs in your area) - you might be able to get away with a new looking sink for just a few hundred bucks. On the other hand - a sink gets lots of hard use - and the recoating process won't stand up nearly as long as the original coating.

I had the same situation in my 85 yr old home - and ended up tossing it for a really nice new one (not porcelain) - for about $300.

Old 01-22-08, 03:30 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would tend to agree with the above, but you have a very unique piece of the old house that would cost a small fortune to replace. It should be removed and redone by a company that will do porcelain, not just paint it. Properly redone, it can last another 100 yrs., and will certainly be a conversation piece. If it fits your redesign plans.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: