Installing Undercabinet lighting

Old 01-22-08, 12:33 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing Undercabinet lighting

I'm looking for a little advice about installing 3 puck lights under my cabinets and linking them to a larger (120 v) "no hum" flourescent light that is already mounted under the cabinet (over the sink) and connected to a wall switch. Ideally I'd like to be able to turn on the puck lights with the same wall switch that is connected to the flourescent light... so that all the under cabinet lights are activated by one switch. Is this possible?
I'm very comfortable switching out old fixtures for new ones... but this is my first time installing puck lights... so any advice would be appreciated. Also should I use low voltage (12 v) or the higher voltage type? And is one brand better than another? I checked Consumer Reports... but they were short on brand specific info.
Old 01-22-08, 03:34 PM
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wilmington
Posts: 3,994
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
My experience with puck lights is they cast more shadows than many people like. Fluorescents cast no shadows. But pucks(halogens) are usually low voltage, so you need to connect the power to the transformer that supplies them. Otherwise, you can do what you propose. They cannot be connected to a dimmer, as fluorescents are not dimmable.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: