Is fiberglass insulation for dishwasher safe?

Old 01-28-08, 05:08 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is fiberglass insulation for dishwasher safe?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone. Im new here. My husband just installed a new dishwasher today. Actually its his parents old dishwasher. Anyway, it has fiberglass insulation that you just put over the top and sides of the dishwasher. Our old one didnt have any type of insulation. Anyway, from what Ive read, inhaling any kind of fiberglass is not good for you. The thing that worries me is that there are some tears in the plastic covering of the fiberglass and also it originally came with holes through the fiberglass to attach to the little wheels on the side of the dishwasher..We have just ordered a new fiberglass insulation but it will probably still have 2 holes in it.. Anyway, should I be concerned about fiberglass escaping and getting on our dishes or in the air? Can the dishwasher be used without the insulation or would it overheat the countertop? Just wanted to get some opinions on this. Thanks all!

Jen

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-08, 05:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 43 Posts
As far as I know nobody's started a class-action lawsuit over dishwasher insulation.

This is a built-in installation I'm assuming, so when you get the unit stuffed up under the counter the insulation is trapped and won't be subject to being disturbed or damaged. The inhalation danger is more for people who work in attics and such where you would have a large quantity of fiberglass in an enclosed space that you were actually inside.

I think you'll find the insulation is primarily for sound deadening rather than heat

Old 02-04-08, 06:39 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Once it is in place there is nothing to worry about. When you are working with it you can wear a dust mask as some people are irritated more than others by the fibers. Just the small sleeve around a dishwasher is nothing much to worry about.

What really gets most people is how your hands and arms get little tiny cuts on them from the fiberglass but that is more of a nuisance than a health hazard.