Gel Coat in a spray can ?

Old 01-30-08, 09:11 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gel Coat in a spray can ?

I was looking for something in the paint department of a local home improvement chain and a Gel Coat spray can caught my eye. I'm specifically looking for some kind of "paint" to bring shine back to a shower wall. I filled a small damaged area and painted it with a glossy color paint. It looks nice but there isn't enough shine in it like the rest of the shower. Will this Gel Coat sprayer do the trick ? I've never used it before so I have no idea. It says "gloss" on it but no color is indicated. Thank you for helping with the last steps of this project.

Old 01-31-08, 01:03 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Never saw gel-coat in a spray can. At what store was it? Sounds like a good idea to me. Post back if it works. Brand name???

Old 01-31-08, 07:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Does that product seem too good to be true?

Forget it!

Old 02-02-08, 04:39 AM
T
Pink Can? My wife bought a can of "Gel Gloss" which was a cleaner for surfaces like Cultured marble. Maybe that's what you saw?

Old 02-02-08, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Gel coat is a finish that is used when fiberglass products are first made.
The mold for whatever is being made is coated with the gel coat and then the fiberglass is laid or sprayed onto this surface.
When released from the mold the finish will already be applied to the product.

You can also spray gel coat but it is a catylized paint which means it needs to have a hardener mixed in with the gel coat just prior to spraying.

When you see a new gel finish on a surface and compare that with something that comes out of a can there will be no resemblance at all.
There are a line of spray paints that advertise as being a plastic finish which is likely what this gel coat is based on.
I think though that the gel coat you found or the plastic finish would have the most gloss of anything you could buy in a spray can.

You haven't said what your shower stall is made of.
If fiberglass then you would need to scuff up the finish and follow the mfr's instructions for what to use as a primer.
If it is acrylic then you have a problem as not much will stick to it for any length of time.
You can get a primer for plastics at auto body suppliers but I tried them without any long lasting success.

If you do spray this you will need to have a good air flow going as any over spray in the air will land on the freshly sprayed coating and kill any shine.

Also, these coatings are hazardous to use in confined spaces so you need to ventilate well with a series of fans that don't allow a buildup of fumes.

Another thing you can try is to call a place that specializes in shower enclosures and maybe they have a diy coating for these things.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: