using 'Ditra' for underlayment

Old 02-04-08, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
using 'Ditra' for underlayment

I am thinking of using this product to replace a twenty year old bathroom floor. The previous floor was laid over cement board and since I've removed tile and cement board, my abutting hardwood floor and spacing at door jambs is 3/4".

The 'Ditra' is both an uncoupling and moisture proof material which is thin setted down and then thin set on top with the tile. My problem is the finished floor will be 1/8" lower if following basic notched trowel applications as recommended.

Can I just make my final application of thin set when setting the tile an extra 1/8" to bring the finished floor up to the desired hieght?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-08, 06:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The DITRA is to be installed with thinset which will account for a slight elevation increase. Then, the tile will also be installed with thinset which will represent an additional elevation increase. You're gonna be there when you get done.

Old 02-04-08, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
The DITRA is to be installed with thinset which will account for a slight elevation increase. Then, the tile will also be installed with thinset which will represent an additional elevation increase. You're gonna be there when you get done.
Thanks for the reply. Hope your right. My question still is can I add enough thin set to bring it up to correct level if need be. This may mean a lttle thicker coat of thinset on top of the Ditra.

Old 02-05-08, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the reply. Hope your right.
Yow so do I!!!
I'm confident this will be the case.

My question still is can I add enough thin set to bring it up to correct level if need be.
Not very likely.
You aren't talking about "that much" variance. If you still need some additional height you can elevate the tiles at the juncture without it being noticeable as close as you are going to be to the necessary height when you get there.

You will not however be able to maintain a consistent re-elevation of the overall floor by simply using more thinset. It don't work like that. Keep in mind that thinset can have a shrink-rate and trying to use too much in a planing/levelling fashion wouldn't be a good idea.

Old 02-12-08, 01:28 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I have to disagree as I just used Ditra on my kitchen floor. The notch requirements for Ditra keep it within the 1/8" final height once you put it down (you smooth it down into the thinset bed). As far as building up the top layer I do not see a problem with using a 1/2" trowel if that would be enough.

However, as mentioned above you will not have that 1/2" final height as the weight of the tile properly set will bring that down as well. If you are really handy, you can backbutter the tiles as well but you still can run into issues.

My personal preference would be to get the subfloor the height that you want but finding and installing 1" plywood might be a PITA.

I found a lot of tile help at the LINK REMOVED. They are big supporters of Ditra and can answer any questions you have (that's how I found out about Ditra).

I really enjoyed it but I will admit that the time you save putting it down you loose on the final application because the little squares always catch your trowel notch and they take up a lot of mortar to fill.

Also, remember to use modified thinset under the Ditra and UN-modified on top.

Last edited by HotxxxxxxxOKC; 02-12-08 at 03:25 PM. Reason: removed link
Old 02-12-08, 02:07 PM
I have to disagree as I just used Ditra on my kitchen floor. The notch requirements for Ditra keep it within the 1/8" final height once you put it down (you smooth it down into the thinset bed).
If the DITRA is installed properly YOU WILL GAIN slightly in elevation - adding to the thickness of the DITRA application.

As far as building up the top layer I do not see a problem with using a 1/2" trowel if that would be enough.
"Using a half inch trowel"? I suppose one should now know the size of the intended tile.

I really enjoyed it but I will admit that the time you save putting it down you loose on the final application
Nonsense!

because the little squares always catch your trowel notch and they take up a lot of mortar to fill.
More nonsense!!!

DITRA is most certainly much much faster to install than most other tilebacker products, and may use slightly more thinset but that extra thinset is more than made up in the time it takes to make the install.

Using DITRA there is:
No heavy boards to buy and load, no heavy boards to unload, no heavy boards to carry, no heavy boards to cut and fit, no dust to control or contend with, no fasteners to install, no fasteners to buy, no seams to tape, no seam tape to buy, no moisture to introduce into the boards prior to setting tile.

Install a few acres of DITRA THEN see if you still feel the same way about it.

Rookie I stand by my earlier prediction. You will gain the 1/8" you need without a problem.

Old 02-12-08, 03:00 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
rookie

Since the floor you removed was cement board and tile and made up the 3/4" you need, why not use cement board again to get to the height you want. I'll agree with Bud that ditra is a lot easier to use and better than cbu but cbu might get you to the desired height. Just my 2 cents here.

Old 02-12-08, 03:28 PM
Ditra is a great product. Someone who says otherwise does not know tile.