"Formica" Shower Surround

Old 02-05-08, 12:54 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Talking "Formica" Shower Surround

I'm installing a shower surround made out of Formica. What is the best backer for this and the best adhesive to use.

Thought I'd use Hardi-Backer but not sure if regular contact adhesive would work with that.

Thanks

Old 02-05-08, 01:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Don't think I have ever seen a "Formica" shower surround.. Where does this idea come from?

Old 02-05-08, 01:42 PM
Smile

Not sure where it came from but I have seen several around the Seattle area. There is actually a formica installer that does a seamless install that has about a 1 in dia. curve for the corners but he charges a partial leg for that.

The one I want to do is only two pieces 32" wide.

Old 02-05-08, 03:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I'd wait a couple of years and visit a site where he installed one of these things. Then you can decide whether or not you want one or not. Of all the materials I can think of to build a shower from, formica ranks right down there with cardboard.

Old 02-05-08, 04:12 PM
Four years ago . . . .

It was installed in a rental 4 years ago and there has been no problems with it since. He put that one on Green Board but I'm not sure what he used as an adhesive.

Green Board is really not available anymore as it is being replaced with paperless drywall.

I have read (today) that even the paperless can use 3M Fastbond 30-NF adhesive - but it would take at least two coats to account for the porosity of the substrate.

I'm really suprised that you haven't heard of using plastic laminates for shower surrounds. It's been used for quite awhile in the NW.

They, like many other products are not for full immersion applications, but they do well for surrounds.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: