Need advice on simple glass block installation

Old 02-05-08, 04:23 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need advice on simple glass block installation

I am re-doing a tub/shower surround and have it torn down to the studs. Before installing cement backer board and tile, I want to install a small rectangular glass block window that will consist of just three Pittsburgh Corning 8" x 8" glass blocks. The glass block window will not be on an exterior wall. It will be on a small wall inside the bathroom that partitions the shower/tub from the toilet. (The actual bathroom window is on the toilet side and the idea behind the glass blocks is to let more natural light into the shower.)

I could really use some tips on how to install these three glass blocks as I am bamboozled by several "how to" articles I have seen that talk about various types of mortars, caulks, channels, spacers, etc. What is a simple, straightforward approach that will work for my situation?
Thanks.

Old 02-05-08, 08:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
First of all...return those suckers to the store and by yourself a "three block unit". This is three glass or plastic blocks already in a plastic frame already jointed between the blocks with silicone, and all ready to be installed.

Then frame your opening to allow for some cement board inside the frame on all sides and about an additional 1/4" on all sides so that the block unit can be slid into place, shimmed and caulked. Place the unit, shim the bottom about 1/8", caulk the other three sides. When the three sides have dried remove the shims and caulk the bottom.

Piece-O-Cake!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: