Replacing OTR microwave with vent hood

Old 02-09-08, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing OTR microwave with vent hood

We remodeled our kitchen about 2 years ago and installed a tile backsplash. Well, since then my culinary abilities have improved tremendously and recently we replaced our slide-in electric range with a gas one. The problem we are having now is overheating of the ventless microwave. I have plenty of counterspace so I want to replace the OTR micro with a vent hood. My question is how difficult will the venting be? The range is located on an exterior wall and we are in a two story house so venting through the wall is preferred. There is no plumbing within this wall and the exterior siding is basic wood siding. We have moderate home-improvement ablilities with a well-stocked tool assortment. I also realize this will require some tilework after removal of the micro which is within my capabilities. And advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-08, 01:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Venting to the side wall, although second best, in some instances such as yours, is just fine. You will need to purchase the proper vent ducting (solid metal) and a good louvered or screened exterior hood to prevent water infiltration. If at all possible, I like to arrange mine where the upper flap of the exterior hood will slip under my wood siding. Makes for a neater look and more rain proof. Yes, you will have a little tile work to do and some plugging of the cabinet above the microwave, where the attachment bolts went in. Of course your new vent will cover them from the bottom.