Positives / negatives of countertop options

Old 02-10-08, 06:02 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Positives / negatives of countertop options

we're in the planning stages for a kitchen remodel - Got quotes for Laminates - $2600+ and corian @ 5110. ( same sq ft, from Home Depot ) there's also a Cambria option we haven't priced yet, ( from potential remodelling contractor) .

Some of the laminates out there seem to have a pretty good look and finish to them.

So, requesting your experiences with various countertops, and recommendations - feel free to leverage price versus quality, maintenance and durabilty factors.

Thanks! / TW

Old 02-11-08, 04:09 AM
J
Laminates are inexpensive as CTops go, and durable, with care of how.where you do your cutting. If you don't plan on this being a lifelong house, laminate is a good choice. And can be dressed up with lots of different edge treatments. Actually not a bad choice, since it can be replaced much less expensively than others. And people often tire of tops before they wear out. Corian(solid surface), granite, man made stones are essentially the same price, expensive, but last a long time. Corian is more renewable than the others, and more easily repaired. All have some draw backs. Solid surface can be done with no seams, stones can't. Many real stones must be sealed regularly to prevent stains.

Old 02-11-08, 06:38 AM
S
concrete. if you're handy you can pour them yourself and get great results. will only cost you 500 or so for all the materials and supplies and you can do anything you want.

Old 02-18-08, 05:00 AM
G
Exclamation

I have been going through this search myself. I started out only wanting quartz, but it reminds me of hospital floors. I love the look of granite and now some are offering lifetime sealants and warranty. The sealing you have to do is only once a year and reguires just wiping on. Most of the people that I have talked to love it.

There are some nice laminates but are just not as durable. I have also found that the granite prices are considerably cheaper than quartz.

That being said, I still have not made up my mind. Too many choices.

Old 02-19-08, 08:04 AM
M
We're going with cambria

The contractor can get us a really good Sq Ft price on the Cambria. But it's the $/inch finishing that runs the price up.
We got our color selection down to 2 possibilities - one darker than the other.
Thanks all!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: