Basement shower ceiling

Old 02-15-08, 03:39 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Basement shower ceiling

I am building a tiled shower in a basement with an existing wood joist ceiling above. I have installed a recessed light that is stamped "suitable for damp locations." What else do I need to do in this ceiling cavity to prevent vapour coming through the light fixture and condensing inside the ceiling ? I will be finishing it with a moisture resistent wallboard. Thanks

Old 02-15-08, 04:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This is a "can" fixture?

If so it has a light diffuser and a ring or frame with some type of seal that will prohibit the moisture from entering the fixture directly. The truth is, moisture vapor will over time find its way into the fixture and from time to time there may also be some condensation that may collect in the fixture but it shouldn't be harmfull, that's what a "suitable for damp locations" fixture.

Old 02-15-08, 04:12 PM
E
Thanks ,
Yes it is a pot light, or "can" if you will. My concern is not the fixture itself, but the ceiling cavity above the shower. Vapour will find its way through the fixture into this cavity which is not a ventlated attic, but the space below the floor above between floor joists.

Originally Posted by Bud Cline
This is a "can" fixture?

If so it has a light diffuser and a ring or frame with some type of seal that will prohibit the moisture from entering the fixture directly. The truth is, moisture vapor will over time find its way into the fixture and from time to time there may also be some condensation that may collect in the fixture but it shouldn't be harmfull, that's what a "suitable for damp locations" fixture.

Old 02-15-08, 10:03 PM
B
The foam ring around the sealed trim should keep out most of the moisture. What gets past it should not cause any problems... provided that you have adequate exhaust. Is there an exhaust fan that is operational and sized for the area? Make sure you use it every time you shower and you will be just fine.

Old 02-16-08, 07:52 AM
E
Thanks Brian, that answers it. Yes, I have the fan installed already.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: