Tiling bath tub area

Old 02-16-08, 06:14 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tiling bath tub area

I am going to retile the area around my bath tub..
Tile will go to ceiling. My ceiling has a popcorn finish. I plan to remove old tile and wallboard and replace with Hardibacker before tiling. Should I go to the ceiling with the new backerboard? If so.....what do I do with the gap at the ceiling? Or....can I just go up 5 feet and merge with existing drywall....therefore..not disrupting the 90 degree joint at ceiling/wall. I have read that Hardibacker is not a true 1/2 " and I would have problems with the transition from one to the other.

Old 02-16-08, 08:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You can do it either way but personally I would stay away from the ceiling juncture totally. Hardibacker 500 is in fact supposedly only 7/16", no big deal don't worry, forget about it.

I'd be more concerned about the popcorn ceiling in an area of moisture. I'm surprised you don't have a black ceiling by now.

Old 02-16-08, 08:02 AM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Remove all the drywall on the walls. Replace with cement board. Make sure you use a vapor barrier (6 mil poly) behind the cement board. Caulk the joint where the cement board meets the ceiling. Tile to the walls. Caulk (dont grout) the joint at the ceiling if necessary.

Old 02-19-08, 04:07 PM
C
Question Caulking

So what kind of caulk would you use up at the seam where the cement board meets the drywall ceiling? and when tiling, would I need to worry about the thinset in the caulk? And does the 6 mil poly vapor barrier go all the way up to the ceiling?
Sorry for the numerous questions. I just asked all these same questions in another forum and found this one to be closer with what I'm trying to do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: