Paint over bathtub ceramic tile

Old 02-16-08, 06:53 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Paint over bathtub ceramic tile

Hi everyone. Not sure if this is a wall and ceiling question or kitchen and bath one .. but here goes. We have decided to do a bit of upgrade to our tired 20 year old bathroom. The tiles on the wall above the tub are an ugly blue and no longer match the rest of the room.
What is the easiest and quickest way to change up the bathtub/shower area wall. Can we use some type of paint to change the color? What about the grouting wrt paint. I suspect this would be a melimine type paint?? Would a tub surround kit be a better route? Could we just glue it to the tiles or will they need to come off first?? So many questions....so little knowledge. Thanks for your help and suggestions. Tucats

Old 02-17-08, 04:06 AM
Hi Mike,
Since your tub is a ceramic tub, it is paintable using epoxy paints however other professional ways must be used to assure proper adhsion. You can paint the tub with epoxy but problems with peeling will develop down the road.

Tile around the tub is a plus in today's decorator's market. The tile cannot be satisfactorily painted as it will peel sometime down the road.
Regrouting is not difficult and will last for years if the grout is sealed. Applying a surround kit over the tile is an option if it the surround panels will fit flat over the tile and the edges can be properly caulked. If you choose to go that route and the panels don't fit properly over the tile, remove the tile. By the way, If the panel fits over the tile, I'd just attach the surround panels around the perimeter. Someday you may change your mind and want to go back to the tile.

Good luck,
CD

Old 02-17-08, 05:51 AM
Thanks CD, that pretty much answers my question; I think I will stay away from the paint and will look around for a nice one or even a 3 piece wall unit to cover the tiles. Thanks again. Cheers.

Old 02-17-08, 07:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You will probably want to rip out that old tile wall before trying to squeze a tub surround in there.

Old 02-17-08, 09:43 AM
E
refinishing a tub

Hi!

Has anyone ever tried the ReNew by Magic Tub & Tile Refinishing Kit. Does it work, easy/hard to use or not worth the time? Any info would be of great help.

Thanks

Old 02-17-08, 02:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Nothing ever bonds well enough to tubs or tile. It will look ok for awhile, then start falling apart.

Old 02-17-08, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the advice Mark. I think I am going to try looking into Barker sheets. I was told they come in a couple of sizes (one is 60x60 inches). I will visit Home Depot this week and check them out. The good thing (or not) is my current tiles go from the tub all the way to the ceiling. I hate the thought of smashing up them tiles and removing them, but maybe that will be the only solution.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: