Installing Silestone kitchen top.

Old 02-18-08, 06:56 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing Silestone kitchen top.

I'd like to remove my 6' counter top and install a Silestone one. I have no experience with this type of installation,and am wondering if i would be better off getting it professionally done. Thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 02-18-08, 07:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Where did you plan on getting it from? I know big box stores like HD, Lowes, etc will not just sell you the counter top by itself, but you have to have them install it as well.

Old 02-18-08, 07:33 AM
Thats what i was thinking to,but wanted to get another opinion.
Thanks

Old 02-18-08, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Hey Mark
Do you mean they won't sell just Silestone? Or any of the high end tops?

I know when you order any of their laminate tops, you have to sign away yer kids. Non-returnable, no guarantee on fit, etc etc. Assumed it was just the same for the solid surface stuff.

BTW, don't know if they've gotten the problems fixed, but when Silestone first started marketing where I used to live...you could wait 3-4 months for a c-top. Their production just couldn't meet the demand. That was a while ago, maybe its fixed now?

Old 02-18-08, 08:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Hey Vic!

The rules maybe different in different markets, but I asked this very question yesterday with one of the managers of the kitchen department. We had a customer who was a contractor himself and wanted to just order his Silestone countertop and install it but our store wouldn't allow it. The only reason I could think of is that if the customers measurements were off, then the customer would attempt to return it. So if we just refused to order it in the first place, we wouldn't lose money. I will try and find out more about this when I go back.

I also asked how long it's been taking to get the c-top fabricated and installed, and they said about 3-4 weeks.

Old 02-18-08, 10:20 AM
I went to H.D.,as they are the ones i was considering buying from,and they pretty much confirmed that this is one
project that the do-it-yourselfer should pass on with all the mistakes that could be made. If the installers screw up,they swallow the costs to correct.

Old 02-18-08, 04:22 PM
C
The companies that manufacture engineered stone or solid surface are guaranteeing it for 10 years, including the installation (10 Year Installed Warranty). They want it to be installed to their specifications by installers they have trained. In addition, the big boxes like HD & Lowes want one source for both fabrication & installation because it's easier for them to assign responsibility for the tops in case there's a problem. Also, engineered stone (Silestone, Zodiaq, etc.) is heavy at 15 lbs/sq ft, so your 6" top will weigh about 191 lbs, and that's a small top. If there's a sink cutout it would be less, of course. The installer will also mount your sink, assuming it's an undermount, and bore the holes for the faucet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: