Need advice on seating options in small kitchen

Old 02-19-08, 08:35 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi,

We have a small kitchen. Currently, we have a square table with four chairs. Problem is we are 5 pple and space is getting tight.

I'm looking for ideas of how to mazimize my space. I'm thinking of building benches against the walls to increase seating capacity.

Any ideas and/or advice on a cost effective way to do this?

Thank you

Old 02-19-08, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 400 Upvotes on 327 Posts
I have a very small kitchen also, and tried the bench thing, but found it actually took up a lot of space, but maybe it depends on your kitchen setup. I've found that round or oval tables work much better in a tight space than square tables. Another thing you could try too, is if a counter is close by, set up a tall stool and someone can sit at the stool and maybe alternate who sits there every night. Hopefully someone will chime in with better ideas.

Old 02-19-08, 11:12 AM
P
I had the same problem with a very small kitchen; fortunately, the next room was a dining room and the wall in between was not load bearing, so I took out the top half or so and used the bottom section as a base to build a countertop that is about 5 feet long and 3 feet wide, covered in a marble tile with oak edges and shelves above to store mugs, collectible glassware, etc. Then we got high stools that fit the height of the counter, made a huge difference in the room, opening it to the dining area which was way underutilized anyway.

Old 02-19-08, 11:31 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Round or oval (if you have the room) tables make the space more usable, especially when you are getting around the table.

Try smaller dinner plates instead of the oversized platters that are not needed for daily family style dining. - You just gets seconds.

Consider a round glass top table with a center suport since it is easy to work around and makes the room look bigger. If you can find a 4" oversize, you can seat 5 and the corners on a square table are wasted anyway.

Old 02-20-08, 06:22 AM
T
Thank you for the ideas. It's true that corners are wasted with a square table ... I'll have to rethink that ...

And smaller plates are a good idea as well.

Old 02-20-08, 06:26 AM
T
Originally Posted by poncho67goat
I had the same problem with a very small kitchen; fortunately, the next room was a dining room and the wall in between was not load bearing, so I took out the top half or so and used the bottom section as a base to build a countertop that is about 5 feet long and 3 feet wide, covered in a marble tile with oak edges and shelves above to store mugs, collectible glassware, etc. Then we got high stools that fit the height of the counter, made a huge difference in the room, opening it to the dining area which was way underutilized anyway.
I really love that idea. My adjoining room is also the dining room and that idea would work very nicely. It's pretty and maximizes space.

I'll just have to assess whether it's a safe choice for me to have stools / chairs that are high off the ground since I have young children.

Old 02-20-08, 06:28 AM
T
Originally Posted by Shadeladie
I have a very small kitchen also, and tried the bench thing, but found it actually took up a lot of space, but maybe it depends on your kitchen setup. I've found that round or oval tables work much better in a tight space than square tables. Another thing you could try too, is if a counter is close by, set up a tall stool and someone can sit at the stool and maybe alternate who sits there every night. Hopefully someone will chime in with better ideas.
Thank you for your reply. Looks like I'll have to rethink this. I think I'll either build benches and get an oval /round. Or I'll do as "poncho" suggested.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: