[Kitchen replacement... ]

Old 02-22-08, 08:05 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
[Kitchen replacement... ]

Im replacing my old kitchen... with a second hand "newer" one.. im trying to grasp all concepts before i even attempt to begin. All your advice has been helpful, i cant seem to find anywhere that lists the tools/nuts,bolts etc i might need for the removal and installation process...

and also, I just wondered, because the cupboards are not specifically made for my 'kitchen' .. what is the recommended process if i line the cupboards up and the floor is uneven, so to speak?

What do i use it 'chock' them up so they are all level?? (this hasnt happened yet, but my paranoia about something going terribly wrong gets the better of me! )

Thanks in advance to all that offer advice, its most appreciated

Old 02-23-08, 03:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You will want to mark a level line on the wall where the cabinets will reside. Then you will install the cabinets against that line, level and plumb, even if it means shimming the bottoms. You can cover that space later with quarter round if necessary. And hopefully you won't have more than a 3/4" gap under the worst one, although I have seen worse. The cabinet stiles will need to be attached together as you go, so a good clamp, drill and 3" #6 or #8 screws will be needed to put them together. Against the wall, you will want to locate your studs and attach the back spanner bar to the wall along your line. Hope this wasn't too wordy. Let us know if I missed anything or you need more help. Good luck with the project.

Old 02-23-08, 07:25 AM
T
For the plumbing work, you'll need a number of adjustable wrenches at the least - plus teflon tape/pipe dope to re-establish your connections. Depending on the scope of your renovations - you may need saws, drill, caulking gun, and the like. Plan on multiple trips to the builder's supply store - and double your original time frame estimate. (that sink/dishwasher/disposal ain't gonna work for a day or so while you go back and forth to find parts).

Old 02-23-08, 08:39 AM
Depending on how extensive the project is, it may also be a good time to update the electrical service (outlets, lighting, etc) to the kitchen area. Unless you are an electrician, leave this part to a pro.

Old 02-23-08, 12:14 PM
W
Received 60 Upvotes on 52 Posts
Cabinets

When preparing to mark the level line on the wall as Larry suggested, measure from the highest point of the floor where the base cabinets will be located. It is easier to raise with shims than lower by cutting.

Old 02-24-08, 04:40 PM
Thanks all for the info ... but perhaps i should call a professional in.... [im currently pregnant, therefore seem to have zero brain cells at the mo!! everyone is like = trying to explain stuff to me!!]

It still helped to know what tools etc i may need and i feel that i can be at least half prepared for the challenge ahead..

thanks again ...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: