What is the correct sub floor for bathrooms ...

Old 02-28-08, 08:00 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What is the correct sub floor for bathrooms ...

Hi,
THe wife refuses to put tile it the bathroom and I need to replace the subfloor, which is currently particle board. What should I use to replace it? More particle board, or Plywood. I will be putting linoleum down.
Thanks,
KnuckleB

Old 02-28-08, 08:54 PM
I
I would install 3/4 inch T&G plywood glued &screwed. Your underlayment goes over this for your finished floor. (FYI) Subfloor is the material installed over the floor joists when the home is framed. Do you really mean subfloor? If not then you are talking about new underlayment. Install only what the flooring manufacturer or floor guy tells you. I learned this lesson a long time ago. A vinyl floor is all about the underlayment! In fact I would let them install the underlayment! Follow their lead due to warranty issues. If your "really" replacing your "subfloor" then the plywood I mentioned is fine. Have fun tearing your floor down to the joists! Good Luck!

INDII

Old 02-28-08, 10:46 PM
K
INDII Thanks for setting me straight. I have 1 1/2' plank subfloor and over that was tar paper and on top of that was particle boards which must be replaced. so my question is what is better the particle board or plywood? When I went and looked at particle board at local home improvement store the sign said "not for moist areas" so thats why I am asking.

Thanks,

K~

Old 02-29-08, 09:21 PM
I
I dont know if you are doing the work or not but I would only use underlayment that is recommended by the manufacturer of the finish floor. The thickness can very a little. This can be adjusted for transitions at doorways, so there is no bump or step from one floor to the next. Where you buy your linoleum, ask what they recommend for underlayment. Smooth luan plywood is a good one. The jionis must be filled and sanded smooth befor you put your new floor down. Anyway follow their lead because the all important warranty comes into play here. I have been burned on this very issue, because their specs were not followed to the letter of the law. One nail sticking up will ruin your new floor, or one poorly matched joint. They will use every excuse in the world to not pay you. The rule is this, whoever is laying the linoleum should also do the underlayment. I myself would neveer lay the floor. I would have it all done in this case by the floor guy. This is one diy project that can come back to bite you. Good Luck!

INDII

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: