Hardibacker Vs Durock for floor

Old 03-02-08, 05:42 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hardibacker Vs Durock for floor

I am installing 12 x 12 ceramic tiles on a floor in a bath as part of a total remodel. I have used 1/2 durock on the walls around the tub and now am moving to the floor. I ripped up old sheet goods floor and 1/2 underlayment. I believe the existing floor is 5/8 or 3/4 plywood. Here are my questions:

1. What type of plywood and how thick should I add to the subfloor.

2. Do I use 1/2 Durock ( HD only has one size) or 1/4 Hardibacker.

Concerns....the finished height of the new floor....with 1/2 subfloor + 1/2 durock + 1/4 tile

Old 03-02-08, 06:12 AM
J
Minimum substrate thickness should be 1 1/4, stiffer is always better when laying tile, so glue/cement, screw, all underlayment layers. Whether duroc or hardibacker, it is a personal choice. Some contractors prefer one over the other. I think hardibacker is less permiable to water, duroc will allow water thru. Good in some circumstances, not in others.

Old 03-02-08, 09:56 AM
Hardibacker

I agree with "Just Bill". I also believe he Hardibacker to be the better choice.

Here is a link to their specs sheet:

http://www.jameshardie.co.nz/brochur...9_48714400.pdf

Unfortunately, there is not allot that can be done about the height of the floor. It is what it is.

Chris Rivademar

Last edited by twelvepole; 03-02-08 at 11:05 AM. Reason: No advertising or advertising links allowed.
Old 03-02-08, 10:21 AM
H
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Jimbo

We dont know much at all about the makeup of your floor. We need more info. For starters, give us the size of the floor joists, their on center spacing and their unsupported span (support to support along the length of the joists from below). Is the plywood 5/8" or 3/4". Is it square edge or tongue and groove? Is it in good condition?

What kind of tile are you using, ceramic or natural stone? Tell us about the tile, type, size etc.

1/4" cement board is made for floors. 1/2" can be used on floors but is not necessary and provides no additional benefit. Plywood will make your floor stronger, cement board is used because its a good bonding surface for thinset and tile. Hardi, durock, wonderboard, it's all a personal choice. They are all good products, some like one better than another but thats personal choice.

Your height concerns may or may not be an issue. Height transitions can always be dealt with.

Old 03-02-08, 11:15 AM
M
Attaching hardibacker to floor

I have heard various things about attaching hardibacker to floors. Some say that it should have thinset before it goes down and screws every 8" or so. Others say that it is best to let it float with fewer screws.

Any comments on this?

Jim

Old 03-02-08, 11:18 AM
H
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Read Hardi's instructions. Gotta have thinset under it and lotsa screws. Any other way will fail.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: