Screw hole in tile repair?

Old 03-03-08, 08:12 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Screw hole in tile repair?

There is a heavy duty "grab bar" in my shower that I would like to remove. How do I repair the screw holes that will be left when I take it off. This is a 1948 home so getting a replacement tile is impossible. Are there colored epoxys that I can mix to fill and hide the holes?

Old 03-03-08, 08:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You'll never hide the holes.

Old 03-03-08, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Bud's right (as usual), you'll never hide them.

Had the same kind of issue when I put a new shower door in my place. Moved it out about 2 inches on the curb, to gain some much needed room inside. That left me with 3 holes on each end. Wound up using some clear plastic hole/screw covers from the hardware store. Good bead of similar color caulk in the hole, insert cover, wiped off excess, duct tape over til the caulk cured.

Yes, still visible, but not as noticable as a hole completely caulked in the wrong color, and the holes are sealed, and theres enuf room to turn around in the shower now.

Old 03-03-08, 04:04 PM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
If its in the shower, best you'll be able to do there is fill the holes with a grout or caulk that matches the color of the tile. It wont look great.

This 180 seconds between posts thing is killing me. WHY WHY WHY

Old 03-03-08, 04:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm going to suggest you chip out those two tiles...and then a couple more. Then go find some accent tiles you like and install them. (If you really want it to look like you planned it that way, do a couple on the other two walls as well. You'll look like a fashionista and it still beats the heck out of replacing all or filling with caulk. (Tacky!)

And HJ- just don't read so fast

Old 03-03-08, 07:52 PM
Steal tiles

We had this come up in another project and we were able to steal some tiles from, of all places, behind the wall mirror! The entire area behind the mirror was tiled, the whole bathroom basically. Maybe this isn't going to work for you, but thought I'd throw it out.

Another idea is if you want to spend some $$ you can probably get a custom tile maker to match the existing for you...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: