Reasonable way to create a spa shower

Old 03-06-08, 06:37 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Reasonable way to create a spa shower

I am in the process of finalizing plans for a master bath remodel with an oversized shower (6' x 4') and would like to create a steam shower with multiple showerheads (e.g. 2 showerheads plus body showerheads/panels). There seem to be a wide range of choices and price ranges. When building a new shower, does it make sense to use a prepackaged shower tower or something like the Kohler watertile systems? What about the choices of steam generators? Who provides the most bang for the buck?

Old 03-06-08, 08:39 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would suggest your first step would be someone to evaluate the maximum you can put together for your shower including the needs of your other fixtures as well. What's the size and pressure of your water main? What's the pressure drop through your meter? Frictional flow loss and static pressure drop to push the system up to and through each fixture? Flow rate of each head or to the steam generator? What will you need to ensure a sufficient supply oh hot water? No matter what you chose for aesthetics or function, your shower will be a tremendous let down if all those factors are not considered before the design stage.

Another thing I can't stress enough...

Steam showers are a completely different animal than a traditional shower. You need a vapor proof enclosure, a ceiling sloped 2" per foot, proper placement of expansion joint details, sealing of all plumbing penetrations to ensure those a also vapor proof, insulation requirements, etc, etc. Your best bet for your shower would be to go with the Kerdi shower system from Schluter, followed by Noble company's Nobleseal TS as a topical waterproofer over your substrate and shower floor and utilize their drain flashing ring for use with a conventional 3 part clamping ring drain to maintain a fully topical water and vapor proofing assembly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: