Remodel adding microhood

Old 03-25-08, 10:30 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remodel adding microhood

I have tried to install a microhood before but backed away and let someone else finished because I didn't have any help and didn't know about this site. But I'm going to do it this time!!

Right now I'm in the middle of the remodel and have no sheet rock on half my kitchen. The problem I had the first time I tried to install one I couldn't find a stud at all where the microhood was going to go that's why I stopped. If you can find a stud and get that bracket up there you're almost done. So anyway the question. Since I can see the studs is there some way to get a hold of a template so that I can know if I'm going to hit a stud and if not put one there? Or put another stud in so I'll be hitting two instead of one? I know that everything is made different but I didn't know if there was like a number I could shoot for to hit the most studs. Or just fill the entire place back there with studs all the way across and I won't have to worry about missing.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-08, 04:01 AM
Studs are nearly always 16"OC, so I don't know how there could be no studs in a 30" opening. The problem may just have been locating them. Since you have the wall open, marks the locations on the floor/ceiling. That way you can find them later. Or, since the wall will be covered by the MW, you can use a drill or a nail to locate studs if tapping or studfinders don't work. No need to even patch the holes.

Old 03-26-08, 07:59 AM
Not being able to locate one was the problem I had when I did it the first time. The guy that came in behind me and finished found one.

Well anyway by you bringing that up I just had to measure the studs to prove myself right. My house is really old and the studs are 24"oc. But even still as you’re saying there should still be at least one stud back there. But when I saw my marks where the cabinets will be there are two studs for me to hit like I want. The medicine cabinet in the bathroom is recessed so they put a stud next to it for the hole when they where framing.

So now I'm just assuming with you not being concerned with where the stud is place within that 30" that bracket will let me put a screw where ever I want? just about?