5/8 - 11 UNC Arbor v.s. 5/8 - 11w

Old 04-01-08, 04:55 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
5/8 - 11 UNC Arbor v.s. 5/8 - 11w

I bought a wet polisher/grinder with 5/8" - 11 UNC arbor for granite work and would like to buy diamond profile router bit. I saw a 3/4" radius bullnose profile router bit on eBay which has 5/8" - 11w female threaded. My questions are below.

1. What are differences between 5/8" - 11 UNC and 5/8" - 11w? According to seller, UNC is US standard and w is british standard. If this is true, can I use 5/8" - 11w on 5/8" - 11 UNC arbor? Does anyone expert here know about this?
2. Is it easy to use 3/4" radius bullnose router bit on both side of 1 1/2" thick (two pieces of 3/4" glued together) granite to make a full bullnose on the edge of slab? I only need to make a legth of around 19" full bullnose and want to save money on router bit. Besides, I can use 3/4" radius bullnose to make back splash of vanity top.
3. They also sell V40 (4cm or 1 1/2") full bullnose router bit. Does anyone ever have this kind of router bit? Can it be taken apart so that one of piece can be used as 3/4" radius bullnose router bit?
4. In terms of difficulty level from 1 to 10 (1 is very easy and 10 is very difficult) to polish Ogee vs Bullnose on granite. What would you rate it?

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-01-08, 07:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I think pieces like you want to run are usually done on tables. Do you intend to free-hand this operation? How are you going to guide the router perfectly staright?

Old 04-02-08, 11:42 AM
D
Thanks for your replied! Yes, most of profile router bits are used with table saw. However these profile router bits I am looking for is called profile "wheel" router bit which has guide bearing which can attached to grinder and sit on top of granite so that you don't have to worry about straight vertically. See the description in this eBay sell for 5/8" - 11 UNC arbor. All I need is to make sure these two type are compatible so that I can save some money on this router bit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll....cWAT.m240.lVI

another posting for 5/8" - 11w

http://ngvi.ebay.com/vi?ngvi&backtoi...o4vIZRUMJ7U%3D

Old 04-02-08, 12:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I really can't say. I do know those are pretty cheap prices for such a tool, I would be careful. I doubt the quality is there. Go to GranQuartz or Braxton-Bragg and you'll see what I mean.

The mention of the 30-40 grit is also a concern. That's a fairly course grit if you aren't equipped to take it down uniformly from there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: