Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Tiling backsplash- calculating wall cabinet height

Old 04-18-08, 07:05 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I will be remodeling my kitchen and will have some flexibility when mounting my wall cabinet height(typically 18").

To avoid cutting tile how do you determine the height? I know this would depend on type of tile and set on diagonal etc. but would appreciate something to get me started in the right direction.

For example typical grout line thickness? Does tile rest directly on granite or some space for silicone? space between cabinet and top of the backsplash for caulk? etc.

thanks

Old 04-18-08, 11:57 AM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
For example typical grout line thickness?
Depends on what kinda tile and what you like.

Does tile rest directly on granite or some space for silicone?
Yes space for caulk needed.

space between cabinet and top of the backsplash for caulk?
Yes space for caulk needed.

Old 04-18-08, 01:10 PM
T
Face it - if you're going to do tile work, you're going to end up doing "cutting tile" work. No way around it.... That being said - don't worry too much about that spacing.

If,on the other hand, you want to get close as you can... figure 1/16th space between tile for 4X4 squares (no spacers) or 1/8th space between tile if you want a bigger grout line. Figure 1/8th - 1/4 inch between the countertop and the bottom row - and the same for the top row/cabinet space ....

Old 04-18-08, 04:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well, this is a "first for me" I must admit. In my over thirty years of installing tile I have never once (never ever) had anyone set their upper cabinets based on a tile backsplash installation.

Typically upper cabinets are set above the counter top between 14" and 18". The tile is then "worked" to fit the available space. There is no typical "grout line width".

If you insist that you want to micro-manage the placement of those cabinets then you first need to have your tile on hand. Not just picked out but "on-hand". Few tiles actually measure the same as the size they are sold in. All manufacturers sizes vary some. You then need to decide on a pattern and dry-lay the tiles somewhere to include the grout line width that excites you. Measure those dimensions and apply them to your cabinet positions.

Do you have a cabinet installation contractor to torture with this method or are you installing your own cabinets?

Old 04-18-08, 05:21 PM
W
Received 60 Upvotes on 52 Posts
Backsplash

Why not install the backslash first, and then install the wall cabinets?

Old 04-18-08, 06:16 PM
T
Now "That" is a good idea - for this particular application...

Old 04-19-08, 09:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm not sure that would make the cabinet installation as easy as it should be. Not impossible tho.

Old 04-24-08, 05:03 AM
S
Thanks to all

I will get the tile, lay some out, decide on my grout width do the math and then set a ledger strip at that height to rest my cabinets on while i Do it Myself. Worst case is I can always fire up the tile saw if I have to.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: