plastic sheet under green drywall?

Old 04-21-08, 02:13 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
plastic sheet under green drywall?

Should I put up a plastic sheet between my studs and sheetrock? Its in the bathroom, we are using green drywall and the walls will be insulated. My understanding is put insulation in the walls, cover with plastic sheet, drywall over that. Sound good?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-08, 03:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hello Milemaker,

It depends...which walls are you referring to? The ones around the tub should not be drywall at all. The remaining walls would be drywall, if painted. (Yes, with vapor barrier over insulation.)

Connie

Last edited by connie; 04-21-08 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Run on sentence.
Old 04-21-08, 03:56 PM
M
I am talking about all of the bathroom walls... we just installed a one piece (seamless) fiberglass tub/shower. I was under the impression I should green drywall up to its flanges. So the entire "wet" area is fiberglass.

Old 04-21-08, 04:16 PM
Mile, you are fine. You should apply a 6mil barrier to the studs, then apply your drywall.

Old 04-22-08, 04:59 AM
Good morning,

While I usually defer to the senior expert, (Mark in this case, being senior...and I don't mean old ) I would ask you to consider this...

I would use hardi backer board in the shower area, even if using a fiberglass tub. Greenboard is porous and when wet, will not dry, but will mold and decay. Yes, the odds of your greenboard getting wet are less when using the fiberglass, but why take a chance?

If you are spending so much money to remodel the bath, why not spend just a little more to ensure the integrity of the walls?

Here's a great source for reading both the pros and cons of greenboard vs. cbu.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12992

You'll find three pages of debate here, much of it by pros.

Connie

Old 04-22-08, 07:09 AM
H
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
I dont think theres any tiled walls involved here. Sounds like a piece tub/shower unit. No real need for cement board I dont think.

Old 04-22-08, 07:40 AM
OKAY, I'm outvoted two to one! I concede...

If I could do the little "Salami, Salami, Baloney", cartoon here, I'd do it for you both! (You remember that cartoon?)

Connie

Old 04-22-08, 11:25 AM
T
Back to the original question, no, do not use a plastic barrier behind greenboard. As a mater of fact, make sure it's unfaced insulation behind the greenboared.

This forum requires that you wait 180 seconds between posts. Please try again in 64 seconds.

This forum requires that you wait 180 seconds between posts. Please try again in 23 seconds.
Obviously I'm either impatient or not a good judge of time (or both)

Old 04-22-08, 12:43 PM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Hi milemaker - Confused yet? drywall - don't drywall, vapor barrier - no vapor barrier, CBU - no CBU.

I'm not a tile guy but I'll add my two cents. Behind fiberglass tub surround.- my choice would be unfaced batts and bare studs. Why waste the time sheet rocking? The fiberglass surround is the vapor barrier, the insulation will provide temperature and noise isolation. Run the sheetrock over the top of the surround flanges and caulk it.