Bathroom Remodeling, Liner, Tiling - newbie

Old 04-28-08, 08:32 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom Remodeling, Liner, Tiling - newbie

Hi, Due to a recent leak, we are getting our bathroom remodeled. It is a second story bathroom. The leak came to the ceiling on the floor below, and I can see the wood in that area is dark.

1) We have left the area open for some time to dry. I am concerned about mold - is it necessary to replace the wood, or should we just spray it with bleach water or something and allow to dry? How do I know whether there is mold above it, between the shower and floor that I cannot see, and will this be a danger?

2) We are having a shower liner put in, and the toilet replaced, new tiles, and new cabinet. The contractor is planning to just put new tiles on top of the existing ceramic tiles. The tiles are in ok shape I think (no big cracks), is this ok? What should they be doing to do it correctly? They are charging $600 (which I now think is too much, but we already signed a contract) just to put tiles over these existing tiles, 25 sq ft, so I want to make sure they do it correctly.

3) Is there any thing I should confirm about them putting in the shower liner, in terms of doing it properly? I read another link was recommending a vapor barrier, but is this just for showers that you are putting in new tiling for? We are havig the liner go over our existing shower tiles.

My house was built in 1969 or 1970 timeframe.

Thanks in advance for your support.

Old 04-28-08, 08:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

I never recommend tiling over existing tiles. When you say, "no big cracks", are you saying there are some smaller cracks? Cracking is not good.

$600 for 25sqft seems excessive.

You only put a vapor barrier BEHIND a cement board attached to studs, NOT onto tile.

A shower pan consists of a first sloped mud bed, then a pan liner, then a final sloped mud bed.

You can kill the mold with bleach, but you will not know the extent of the damage unless you tear everything up. There are certain types of mold, some cause allergies, some nothing, some can get you sick. A pro would have to determine what you got.

Is this just a GC (general contractor) setting these tiles or a tile setter? There is a HUGE difference.

Old 04-28-08, 08:54 PM
T

This is the scariest post I've ever read

Please post back with more info and upload some pictures to a photo server such as photo bucket so we can see what you are talking about.

Due to a recent leak
What leaked?

The contractor is planning to just put new tiles on top of the existing ceramic tiles
Walls, floor or both?

The tiles are in ok shape I think (no big cracks)
If there are cracks, it disqualifies tile over tile

We are having the liner go over our existing shower tiles.
Where did you find these losers?

Old 05-11-08, 05:26 PM
A
Bathroom remodeling

Thank you for the quick response.

I uploaded some pictures to the photo bucket site, per your suggestion:

http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/l...view=slideshow

There are no cracks in the existing tile, that I can see.

The leak we believe is due to the base of the shower - the contractor thought it was maybe some hairline cracks in the base of the shower floor.

The company doing the bathroom remodel Bathtub Liners of Michigan.

I am reposting the original questions here, would really appreciate your guidance.

Last edited by HotxxxxxxxOKC; 05-11-08 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Removed old post since it's the same thread.
Old 05-11-08, 07:27 PM
I sthe contractor wanting to tile over the existing tile, or are YOU wanting to?

I don't know of any legit tilers that would want to tile over existing, aspecially in a shower area.

Please post back with exactly what they are planning on doing.

How do you plan on addressing this leak if they are just going to tile over old tile?

Old 05-11-08, 07:39 PM
A
Bathroom Remodeling

The contractor told us that this is what they were planning to do. After going to the hardware store to pick up tiles, and speaking to the guy that works there, I am feeling uncomfortable about putting the tile on top of the existing bathroom floor tile. I was looking for an expert recommendation. I am not sure if there is much we can do about it or not. We put money down for the liner, cabinet, new toilet. Since we are paying the materials on the bathroom floor tiles, I think we could potentially remove that part from the contract, but then it seems things may get messy having two people come in to do work.

The company is putting a liner in the shower area, over the existing shower tile wall and floor area.

Old 05-11-08, 07:42 PM
A
Bathroom remodelng

I am not sure if it was clear in teh post. We believe the leak is coming from the shower floor area. That is why we are having a liner put in there.

We also decided since we are doing remodeling, to go ahead with new toilet and bathroom floor tiling also. The bathroom floor tiling doesn't have any leak issues.

Old 05-11-08, 07:45 PM
They cannot and should not EVER install a liner over existing tile. This is absolutely bogus and I would recommending finding a new company to deal with. Cut your loses with his place and move on.

This shower needs to be completely ripped out.

Old 05-12-08, 07:36 AM
H
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Anita

This is a guaranteed plan for failure. You need to get rid of these losers and find someone that knows what they are doing. Whatever you spend on this wil be flushed down the toilet if you go this route. DONT DO IT.

Old 05-14-08, 07:16 PM
A
Bathroom Remodeling

Ok, so you are saying they should not be putting a liner over the existing shower wall tiles, correct? Just want to be sure.

We were not aware, because the other contractors we had look, had also planned on putting a liner over the existing tiling.

We have already signed a contract, and given them 2 thousand down. Is there anyway to get out of this contract and get our money back?

How would you recommend handling this situation?

Old 05-15-08, 03:47 PM
you put $2000 down and this is the workmanship they plan on doing?

There are so many wrong things about what they are planning on doing.

A proper installation will consist of:

Tear out old wall and floor down to the studs

Install FIRST sloped mud bed (for the hsower floor)

Install liner over first pre-sloped bed

Install drain flange

Install SECOND sloped mud bed

WALLS:

Install vapor barrier across studs

Install Hardibacker or another CBU

Tile

Ditch this company now.

You will have to do a complete tear out shortly after they install it if they do it the way you described.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: