Sealing slate and tiles in shower

Old 05-06-08, 04:12 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sealing slate and tiles in shower

We had our shower torn out and replaced in 2004 (the pan was leaking). We had our tile guys lay slate on the shower floor and the bathroom floor, and ceramic tile on the walls of the shower. They sealed it after they finished, and told us we'd need to re-seal in about 2 years. We are gone a lot and thus have not given the shower much use, but it is now probably time to re-seal. How do I go about that?

Specifically -- How to pick a sealant product? Any recommendations?
How do I prep the surfaces (they are visibly clean)-- any special prep?
Any advice on how to apply the sealer?
And advice on what to avoid buying/doing would be appreciated, also. I've never done this before.
thanks.
TexJo

Old 05-07-08, 06:49 PM
X
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Depends on the type of sealer you use. Try to go for a good waterbased stone sealer where all you need to do is wipe it on with a sponge! As long as the tile is cleaned well first.

Old 05-07-08, 07:07 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Did they use a penetrating sealer that penetrated into stone and was absorbed by it? Or, did they apply a surface sealant? Usually the guys leave you the bottle, as you paid for the sealer. Perhaps the stone retailer has a record of what you paid for as well as installation info still on file. The retailer may have the same sealer as well as cleaner on hand.

A water-based sealer that is penetrating should have been used. If a surface sealer was used, it will have to be stripped off. Read here: http://www.infotile.com.au/ubb/Forum3/HTML/001694.html

Stonecare International Products have an excellent reputation. If you can not find products locally, go to www.stonecare.com They have everything you need for maintaining natural stone products as well as outstanding customer support.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: