DensShield + BAD SMELL + HELP!!!!

Old 05-09-08, 12:43 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DensShield + BAD SMELL + HELP!!!!

Help!!! We are DIY homeowners and last weekend installed Denssheild over our asbestos vinyl kitchen floor. We noticed a slight smell cutting and installing it, but had all the doors & windows opened and didn't think too much about it. As the weather turned cooler and we closed up the house we started to really notice it. When I came home from work on Tuesday it really hit me in the face. It was a cross between old garbage and dead fish. I called GP and they gave me the field rep's number. I called him and surprisingly he came right out. He agreed that it did smell bad. He said that we did a great job installing it correctly. He said he never had this problem before and offered for us to replace it. I reminded him that we had asbestos underneath that would get disturbed and we didn't want the health hazard. He left to talk to his people. He called back today to say that they only had one other problem and the smell left after awhile. We don't want to install the tile until this gets resolved. In the mean time we are living without a refrig, stove, or dishwasher. Has anyone else heard of this problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-08, 01:33 PM
H
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Never heard of or seen (I mean smelled) that before. The actual backerboard smells - huh? Is there any possiblity that the smell could be coming from another source?

Old 05-09-08, 05:06 PM
S
No, we have checked and recheck and the only thing that smells is the DensShield. I found someone on The John Bridge forum that has the same problem, last month, I'm waiting for him to reply to me so I can get more info from him. Thanks for you time.

Old 05-09-08, 06:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Snail, did you post this same question over in JB's forums?

This has come up before and no one has figured out what the cause was. The big box stores do leave this stuff outside for god knows how long before they bring it in to sell it. I would wait for GP to get back to you.

whoops, just noticed you did mention asking in JB's forum.

Old 11-06-08, 07:49 PM
S
DensShield Odor

Did you ever resolve your DensShield odor problem? I bought enough sheets from Menards to finish the bathroom. Left it in the garage on a pallet and it started to smell. Don't think the smell has anything to do with moisture because it has been fairly dry here this fall. Took me awhile to figure out what the smell was. I am afraid to put it on the wall because I found at least two postings on the Internet as to odor.

Old 11-07-08, 07:16 AM
H
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Do a google search there's lots of info on this. Bottom line is that it appears to be problem that GP is having with densshield and some of their other problems. From what I have read, if you call GP they have been responsive in checking out the problem and replacing if necessary. I dont personally use their products.

Old 11-07-08, 04:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Normally, I will not post a link to a outside forum, but there has been a lengthy discussion at JB's about this.

Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile - Densguard Odor