Lyptus Countertops

Old 05-26-08, 12:34 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lyptus Countertops

Just in case someone is wondering if hardwood - not butcher block - countertops are a worthwhile endeavor...

My budget was pretty small, and I wanted to do something besides tile or formica. I thought about using hardwood flooring, but I didn't want a butcherblock look.

I read up on Lyptus, and thought it would work out pretty well, so I bought some 3/4" MDF-core plywood and some 1" lumber for edge band and did the 'stove side' counters with it. I stained it with Minwax Red Mahogany and sealed it with a few coats of Minwax Spar Urethane. No problems. Hard as a rock.

The 'sink side' counter was 12' long, and lyptus plywood only comes in 8' lengths, so that option was out. We found a cast iron Toto sink we liked that was 'crackled' porcelein, so I didn't want to try to splice two sheets together. I went to my local hardwood dealer and scoped out some 1" lumber, but I had never attempted to glue up boards before. I invested in a biscuit cutter and Grizzly planer and gave it a shot, and suprisingly nothing went disastrously wrong.

I finished these countertops about a year and a half ago, and so far I've nothing bad to report. I may have committed a minor error when I didn't seal the bottom of the counter, but everything seems to be hold up just fine. I get a little squeeze-out on a couple of seams from time to time, but that may disappear with another coat or two of spar.

Old 05-26-08, 12:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Looks great and unique!

Old 05-26-08, 01:22 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Very impressive. Nice backsplash too. Thanks for sharing your DIY project.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: