Waterproofing a tile shower shelf

Old 06-10-08, 06:44 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Waterproofing a tile shower shelf

Hi,

I'm getting ready to tile a neo angle shower stall. The pan has an angle at the interior corner. Some genius (oops, me) thought it would look nice to only run the corner up part way, then put a triangle shelf on top. The stall (including the shelf area) has been covered with cement backer board. I pitched the top of the shelf a bit away from the walls, to help make sure it drains. Anything else I should do to protect this area before tiling? (other than normal taping/mudding of seams)

Also, I assume I should put the horizontal shelf top on first, then tile down to it. Is that the correct way?

Thanks,
Sail

Old 06-10-08, 10:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The shelf junctures need to be waterproofed somehow. In this case I think I would use a siliconized caulk and smear the juncture liberally. Once the shelf is installed, tile down to it so as to create a watershed effect and then caulk that juncture - don't grout it.

Old 06-11-08, 08:28 AM
S
Thanks, Bud.

Would a layer of Redgard in the area be overkill/unneccessary? I'd like to be very conservative with this.

Thanks,
Sail

Old 06-11-08, 11:40 AM
Two or three coats of RedGard would be the thing to do. I didn't suggest that because RedGard costs around $40 and you don't need that much. If you want to spend an extra forty bucks then do so - that would be best.

A quick smear with some waterproof caulk would serve the same purpose just don't use 100% silicone.

Old 06-12-08, 02:13 PM
S
Thanks Bud,

Sorry to keep this going, but....

I'm gonna go with the Redgard or Mapei's product. I think $40 is worth the piece of mind. Any reason to use one over the other? Redgard says paintable, Mapei is trowel on.

Do I tape and fill all the seams and corners as usual before applying the membrane?

Do I just caulk the penetrations for the valve and shower head?

Thanks again for your help. I'm really trying to make sure I don't have any problems with this down the road.

Old 06-12-08, 02:23 PM
I would go RedGard over Mapei. Redgard can be troweled on as well. No need to tape seems.

I wouldn't worry about caulking the shower head openings because they are usually covered with the actual shower head plate doohicky.

Old 06-12-08, 05:41 PM
I would use RedGard also but would absolutely tape and fill the seams first. Otherwise the RedGard could sink and settle into the seams and you may not detect a breech.

The Mapei product is also a good product but trowelling it may be an issue and the corners are hard to address with a trowel.

The valve escutcheons have seals built onto them and the shower head is high enough it shouldn't be an issue. Caulk it if you like, but then you would want to caulk the pipe hole also if you want that warm and fuzzy feeling.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: