Shower door over tub surround problem

Old 06-29-08, 06:32 PM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Shower door over tub surround problem

I hope an expert here can answer this one. If not, I'll have to go back to Lowes and try again to make sense to them.

We have a 5'x30" tub. Just ripped out old tile and drywall to put up a new surround and doors. The surround (Sterling Performa) is a direct-to-stud system. It also has little tabs on the bottom that would insert into a new Sterling tub. We're keeping our old tub, so I'm assuming we just remove those?

The big problem will be installing the shower doors. If we nail up the surround side wall, cover the flange with drywall and then try to place the shower door jamb, we will have a large gap. It's difficult to describe, so here's a diagram I made.

This is a top view. You can see that the surround side wall thickness falls right at the center of the stud. So, the inside of the door jamb will rest on the surround and the outside will not. I'm assuming many people add doors to this type of surround. What do you use to fill the gap? Or am I doing something terribly wrong?

Old 06-29-08, 07:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Since we can't see your situation completely, we'll have to rely on standard practices and the diagram you furnished. In a normal installation, the tub surround wall will go flush to the stud edge and the stud will be sistered in order to accept the drywall.

Old 06-29-08, 07:12 PM
Z
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
OK, looked up "sistered" for stud repair. But how does that address the door jamb installation? The surround seems fine and the drywall install seems fine, the shower doors are the problem.

Thanks for the welcome.

Last edited by Zharkov; 06-29-08 at 07:16 PM. Reason: added info

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: