Cabinet Refacing/Replacement vs New Cabinets

Old 07-09-08, 03:02 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cabinet Refacing/Replacement vs New Cabinets

We're debating whether to replace cabinet doors/drawers or purchase new cabinets. Our current cabinets are probably from the 1970s. We have about 14 linear feet of cabinet space and Home Depot quoted us $8600 for BASIC new cabinets (includes installation and tear out). They then quoted us $2300 for replacing cabinet doors/drawers. We just purchased our house last year for $183,000 and are worried that sinking a lot of money into the house would not be a wise investment since comparable houses only sell for up to $200,000. Any recommendations? Also, if we decided to do cabinet door/drawer replacement is this a possible DIY project?

Old 07-09-08, 03:33 PM
J
IMHO...forget big box stores, you will not get what you pay for, in value.

Refacing is an option if the original cabinets are sound/solid, you are satisfied with the layout and space available. Otherwise it is a waste of money. In terms or repayment, a kitchen is probably on of the best investments you can make, provided it is a quality one. Basic cabinets are essentially junk, surface decoration only, again, IMHO. They are particle board, glue, and plastic and will not stand the test of time, even a few years will show drawers falling apart, etc. If you plan to stay in the house less than 5 yrs, then do not consider major upgrades. But also, do not expect other than usual increases in value.

Will better cabinets cost more, yes, but you will get more for your money. The better grade cabinets have more space saving/giving options than the basic line. Look for plywood cabinets boxes, dovetail drawers, etc.

Old 07-10-08, 01:57 PM
C
You will also find the the cabinets will become "un-basic" pretty early on and the original price they gave you will go out the window. I just tried to put up some general pricing on my site and it was very hard to give a fair idea of what things will cost. Things like drawer upgrades, box construction, finishes (paint, glaze) wood type, and box alterations jack the price up significantly. I would venture to guess that cabinets you are happy with at HD will be more than twice what they quoted, based on listening to other people's experiences. Go to a local real cabinet store or lumber yard, or look online.

Old 07-17-08, 01:07 PM
F
I did it myself.

I had the same debat a couple years ago. I ended up going with the reface. It afforded me a higher quality doors & drawers. Then if I would have replaced with basic cabinets from home depot. I was'nt happy with the quality of the doors at H. D. through there refacing company and customer service was very difficult on this subject. I decided to search the internet to see if i could find some doors and drawers I found alot of sites that dont even sell to the general public After doing alot of searching I came acrossed a company that had everthing I needed . and they sold it in a kit. Taylor cabinet door co. was very helpful from the very first call.Customer service took me step by step to get me a quote right over the phone. I decided to go with a complete cabinet renvation. New doors,drawers, box kits,end panels veneer skins, euro style hindges . I got alot of info. at www.taylorcabinetdoor.com the site helped alot with getting my cabinets ready for the reface job that I did myself.After all the time spent it was well worth the money.Family and friends are at ah when they see my kitchen. They think I had a pro do it.

Good luck with your project....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: