Quietest Bathroom exhaust fan

Old 07-12-08, 01:21 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Quietest Bathroom exhaust fan

Our nearest Lowes carries the Broan brand of exhaust fans for the bathroom, but am unable to find any reviews and also if their quietest fan is better than another.

I also notice prices range from $35-$175 for exhaust fans.

No need to spend $175 if one that is $135 is just as quiet. Granted the spec sheet may show the $135 to be not as quiet but yet my ears may not even hear the difference.

Which bathroom exhaust fans is the most quietest for the money?

Old 07-12-08, 01:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Have you looked at the NuTone line? Here is one from HD and it's ultraquiet. What CFM are you looking for?

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100568247

Old 07-12-08, 01:35 PM
J
Originally Posted by HotinOKC
Have you looked at the NuTone line? Here is one from HD and it's ultraquiet. What CFM are you looking for?

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100568247
Based on a quick calculation I would have to say approximately 156.

Old 07-13-08, 09:07 AM
T
I've installed a FanTech attic-mount fan, 230CFM, large enough to handle two bathrooms. I plan to connect it to a second bathroom at some point. You can barely hear it -- I mean it's so quiet, you're not quite sure it's running unless you listen carefully.

The motor is up in the attic, mounted on a vertical 2x4 screwed to the floor joists and roof rafters, and the motor is well away (about 10') from the joist-mounted vent housings in the bathroom ceiling. The housings have cool fluorescent light, halogen light, or no light options.

There is a 20amp GFCI circuit in my bathroom, and that circuit was extended up into the attic, so the fan and on-off timer-switch are GFCI-protected. You may read that some motors give GFCI circuits trouble; the FanTech motor has not given me any trouble.

The FanTech ancillary components (e.g. timer switches and so forth) are often Leviton wares sold at a premium price, but for the premium you pay you do get very good tech support from FanTech. They will advise you over the phone, and send you schematics and drawings via email or fax. Sometimes same-day, but usually next business day turnaround.

Regards
T

Last edited by timo888; 07-13-08 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-13-08, 03:34 PM
J
Waht timo said, Fanteck mounts remote from the room, usually in an attic space, which is why it is quiet. And they can do more than one room, run ducts from multiple rooms to the fan, then one outlet duct. But are pricey.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: