Hardibacker Install In Tub

Old 07-14-08, 12:42 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hardibacker Install In Tub

Hi,

I'm getting ready to install slate tiling in my shower. I gutted the space and put in a new tub. On the walls where the tiles go I had my in-law help and we put in (roofing black paper) up first, then the (moisture resistant) drywall. I don't know if that's what I was supposed to do, but that's what we did.

I have the 1/4 hardi-backer and I'm trying to figure out the proper way to put that up over the drywall.

I have the screws recommended and the tape for the joints, but don't know if a mortar or adhesive is needed between the drywall and hardi-backer, or if the screws alone are sufficient.

Or even worse, and hope not, if I was not supposed to use the drywall. Thanks for any responses.

Old 07-14-08, 02:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Take down the drywall.

You can keep the roofing paper there

Install 1/2" cement board, not 1/4

Tape the seams with thinset as you tile.

Old 07-14-08, 04:11 PM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
I know you didnt ask this question. Slate is not the best of choices for a shower, in fact its one of the worst. Search this site and the internet in general and you will see why.

Ceramic/porcelain tile is a much better choice. Many manufacturers make porcelain slate look alike tile as well. Its a better choice.

Old 07-15-08, 11:54 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses.

Do I have to remove the drywall? I don't know if that was a recommendation? And when you say 1/2 inch cement board is that just a different size hardi-backer, or a different product altogether.

And as far as the slate I bought it on sale a year ago so I don't think I can return it. I was planning on putting a sealant and another product on the slate (can't remember what it was called). I was told that would be enough. Thanks again.

Old 07-15-08, 03:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes, remove the drywall and install 1/2" hardiebacker.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: