Best caulking bead tool?

Old 08-12-08, 12:04 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best caulking bead tool?

anyone have any suggestions for teh best tool for spreading caulking into a nice even bead. I've seen many different ones, I just wanna get the best, so the results are the best.

Old 08-12-08, 12:26 PM
H
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
A good caulk gun and a finger have always worked for me.

If you are not good at this, try applying blue painters tape to each side of the joint that you wish to caulk. Line up the edges of the tape where you want the caulk joint line to be. Apply the caulk, use your finger to tool the caulk, then immediately remove the tape. In one long smooth motion, retool the joint with your finger. It will come out perfect every time.

Old 08-13-08, 03:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 356 Votes on 313 Posts
I agree with Johnny although I've never used tape. The neater you apply the caulk, the less it will need to be wiped. A wet/damp sponge or rag can also be benificial. It will help to keep the caulked joint clean..... and your fingers too

Old 08-13-08, 05:17 AM
J
For 23 years as a pro, I have relied on the digits at the end of my arms, but there was a simple tool that came with a shower surround kit I did last year that I really like. Piece of teflon(I think), various curves and angles at each corner. Works nicley, leaves a very clean looking fill. I have since seen them advertised on TV, you know "if you buy today we will also throw in...........". But my digits are always available, never at the bottom of a tool box.

Old 08-13-08, 07:15 AM
H
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Bill

Ive seen those advertised on tv. I never had a problem with a finger so no need to buy one. I suppose like you if I got one for free Id give it a try.

Old 08-14-08, 05:33 AM
H
What I do is cut the tip of the tube at a slight angle and as you are running the caulking bead change the angle of the caulking gun and use the tip of the caulking tube to smooth the bead. It takes pratice but like marksr said the neater you aplly it the less you have to do. If you are using something other than latex caulking ,like silicone, I spray my finger with Windex and and little on the bead and smooth it out with wet finger. Again with the proper angle of your finger, the caulking will not stick to your finger.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: