Glass tile backsplash help needed

Old 09-14-08, 10:41 AM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Glass tile backsplash help needed

Hi,

I decided to install a glass tile backsplash. I got 1"x3" glass tiles that come in 1ftx1ft sheets.
http://www.susanjablonmosaics.com/ca...roducts_id=751

Question 1: Can I install the tiles directly to the painted drywall?

Questions 2: The vendor specified latex thinset. I couldn't find such thinset premixed... However, there is some brand in home improvement stores that seems to come close. Any experiences?

Question 3: I need to cut some of the tiles. I got a tile nipper to do so. It seems hard to precut all the tiles in advance in order ta make the cut at the correct spot due to the size of the tiles.
-> How much time to I have to work with the tiles after the thinset is on the wall?

Old 09-14-08, 10:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Question 1: Can I install the tiles directly to the painted drywall?
Scuff up the paint with some sandpaper first.

Questions 2: The vendor specified latex thinset. I couldn't find such thinset premixed... However, there is some brand in home improvement stores that seems to come close. Any experiences?
Don't use any type of "premix" stuff that comes in a bucket. I would use white Versabond, Home Depot has it. Comes in a 50lb bag, which is more then you need, but it's good.

Question 3: I need to cut some of the tiles. I got a tile nipper to do so. It seems hard to precut all the tiles in advance in order ta make the cut at the correct spot due to the size of the tiles.
-> How much time to I have to work with the tiles after the thinset is on the wall?
You need glass tile nippers (mosaic glass cutter), not your typical ceramic tile nippers. You will have about time to set your tile on the wall and time to spare. Make sure you are not using a fan to stay cool, as this will speed up the thinset drying.

Old 09-14-08, 02:53 PM
D
Great. Thanks.

One other thing that came to mind.
How do I work with the thinset towards the end of the tile section? Do I initially apply more thinset, apply tile, and then remove the excess thinset?

Old 09-14-08, 03:08 PM
Just apply thinset to the section you are working. You do not need to spread thinset on the entire backsplash at once. I usually use a small putty knife to clean up extra thinset.

What size trowel are you using? You should be use a V notched, then flatten down the ridges some with the straight edge of the trowel.

Old 09-15-08, 05:22 AM
D
Since my glass mosaic tiles (1"x3") are rather small I'm somewhat concerned to apply enough thinset but nut overspread.

I'm planning on using a 3/16" V-notch.
What is the proper technique to flatten the notches. How much pressure do I apply?

Old 09-15-08, 05:11 PM
Hi.

Your trowel, when held at a 45 degree angle will prevent having to much thinset. If some thinset happens to ooze between the tile, take a putty knife or anything else and scrape it out.

Just take the straight edge part of the trowel and lightly collapse the notches.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: