Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Granite backsplash/sidesplash installation in bathroom

Old 09-28-08, 09:14 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts

Just installed a granite countertop with undermount sink in bathroom and am ready to install the backsplash and sidesplashes. Instructions call for silicone where the splashes meet the granite top and poly adhesive (liquid nails for granite) for the sides that contact the wall.

My question is on the seam between the countertop and splashes - do I simply put a bead of clear silicone caulk here or leave it alone?? If I applied the silicone correctly on the undersides, water shouldn't penetrate, but I would think the seam should be sealed from the visible edges.

Thanks.

Old 09-28-08, 12:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Put a very thin bead of silicone along the seam after you install it, on both the side and back splash as well as the seam up the corner of the splashes.

Old 09-28-08, 03:24 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Different materials expand/contract at different rates. While the sidesplashes should be mounted to the sink, thye need to be able to move somewhat with repsect to the wall. Caulk/glue lightly to the wall.

I usually seal the side, top continuously with silicone, and a dap on the side splashes where they meet the wall.

Old 09-28-08, 09:39 PM
D
I put a thin bead on the splashes where they meet the counter and it looks pretty good. Thanks for your advice!

Now that the sink is installed, Should it be sealed BEFORE it's used and exposed to water? Does it need to be cleaned first? Special cleaners?

Old 09-29-08, 03:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The sink should need no special preparations before use. You didn't indicate whether it was a stainless or granite/composite sink, so follow the manufacturer's cleaning instructions.

Old 09-29-08, 05:32 AM
D
I meant to ask if the Granite Countertop should be sealed before it's used and exposed to water, not the actual sink.

Old 09-30-08, 09:49 PM
D
The granite top and splashes appear to be darker, almost stained, where the clear silicon was applied at the joint between the slab and the splash. Could the silicon have seeped into the granite??? Or could this be some kind of illusion??

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: