Drilling Hole in Cast Iron Sink

Old 10-01-08, 08:57 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Drilling Hole in Cast Iron Sink

Hi All,

I've searched the forum and found a lot of requests for advice on drilling holes in various counter top or sink materials. But I didn't find any that specifically addressed drilling into porcelain/cast iron.

I have such a kitchen sink (undermounted) and would like to drill a 7/8" hole for a filtered water faucet. What to use? Carbide edged coring bit w/water perhaps? Can it be done (safely) at all?
TIA for any advice.

Old 10-01-08, 10:32 AM
any metal cutting bit will do it. but the procelain will chip around the hole so you will need to make shure you have a collar to cover the small chips. you should use a center punch to mark the starting point or you will have a very difficult time starting the bit in the porcelain. the carbide edged coring bit will probably give you the best looking hole in this application i would lubricate it with water and don't spare the water when cutting. take your time and use some type of press/fixture to give you a good square hole (in relation to the surface) be carefull of binding, good luck

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 10-02-08, 04:42 PM
T
Thank you, Speedwrench. I am having some difficulty finding such a beast (on-line anyway -- the drill bit, I mean). Only thing close I'm finding are industrial bits at $200+.

The dishwasher air gap hole would probably work nicely. Would it be a bad idea to connect the dw hose directly to the disposer so I can use the sink hole for the faucet?

Old 10-02-08, 05:50 PM
C
cast iron is pretty soft. seems to me a quality, $20 or so, hole saw would make sort work of it.

Old 10-02-08, 08:29 PM
my dishwasher hooks directly to the garbage disposal, so if i am reading this correctly i would do that.

Murphy was an optimist

Old 08-28-12, 09:59 PM
C
Just wanted to let you know.......That by connecting your dishwasher drain directly to the garbage disposal (without the airgap) you have now made a cross connection between your sewage system and your potable water system (and sanitized dishes at that). The airgap is required by plumbing code. If your kitchen sink drain should ever become clogged and the sink fill up to the flood rim with waste water your dishes and potable water system will be protected by that 1" airgap. So no I would not use the airgap hole for your filtered water faucet.

Old 08-28-12, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
That by connecting your dishwasher drain directly to the garbage disposal (without the airgap) you have now made a cross connection between your sewage system and your potable water system (and sanitized dishes at that).

Chad this is an old thread. But anyway hi. Possibly you are misinformed.

The GD connection does have an air gap. It drains above the trap.

If your kitchen sink drain should ever become clogged and the sink fill up to the flood rim with waste water your dishes and potable water system will be protected by that 1" airgap.

This is why there is a high loop on the DW line under the kitchen sink.

Old 08-29-12, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
I might be mistaken....but it seems like we've had people say the air gap is required in CA?

Old 08-29-12, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Gunguy, you mean the actual sink air gaps installed through hole? Yes its a possibility. CA does do things different.

I thought the UPC did away with the air gaps, but I assume the state or local levels may not always adopt it into their codes.

Last edited by lawrosa; 08-29-12 at 10:01 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-29-12, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Yeah...the actual ugly chrome thing sticking up through the hole in the sink. I know I've seen threads about it and it was always the ones in CA that caused confusion.

Kinda goes along with their rules about fire doors in attics and such.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: