laminate counter question

Old 10-13-08, 01:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
laminate counter question

I have a laminate counter (formica?) that's in decent shape, no chips, stains, etc. but I can tell the finish is worn and it's getting harder to clean.

I don't want to replace it just yet. I was wondering if there was something I could apply as a protectant?

I heard about one product called "gel gloss" for counters. Has anyone tried something like that or is there something else or am I just wasting my time and money?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-08, 05:51 AM
Temporarily Suspended
My rule of thumb is always leave a maintenance free surface, maintenance free. As soon as you add any type of sealer or polish, you've made more work for yourself. If you still want to try something, buy or rent a small hand held buffing machine, something like the auto body workers use. Use some water in a spray bottle and run it over the counter. It may put a little life back into the counter.

Old 10-14-08, 06:40 AM
Hi du2vye,

Assuming you are talking about your kitchen counter, I'd suggest that you avoid chemical products, because they can contaminate the food (directly or indirectly). In addition. most of these products tend to became yellowish after a short time

Old 10-14-08, 06:50 PM
I might try pure beeswax applied thinly with a rag and buffed with a hand buffer with a wool bonnet. This will be very shiny, but I doubt it would damage anything. You may be able to buff it several more times before adding wax.

Old 10-18-08, 02:12 PM
The counter is not so easy to clean anymore. I've had counters like this before and once they start going, they go downhill fast. I'd like to stall that. In the past, the counter was probably cleaned with an abrasive/bleach like Comet.

This is the product I was talking about - although there are others available. http://trindustries.com/store/catalo...products_id=29

Buffer - Is laminate thick enough to buff? I was thinking the color/pattern of laminate was a sheet with a protective surface added on top (high pressured - etc)?
Then it wouldn't be thick enough to buff - like linoleum, that has color all the way through ...

But I really don't know. Can you explain more?

Thanks for the replies. I may try a wax first (food safe).

Old 11-10-08, 05:16 PM
renew countertops

go to...... countertoptransfauxmations.com for info on how to do it. Haven't tried it but looks like it just might work. If you use it let us know how it turned out. Good luck !!!

Old 11-12-08, 05:30 PM
I would agree with the above posters. If you have laminate tops that do not require any maintenance, then actually trying to do something to 'maintain' them probably isn't worth it. Stone and solid surface tops are a different story.

-Rob

Last edited by GregH; 11-12-08 at 06:00 PM. Reason: remove link