HELP! how do I cut through a cast iron tub?!

Old 10-13-08, 01:59 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb HELP! how do I cut through a cast iron tub?!

I need to cut a side off of my cast iron tub for a project I am working on. What is the best tool to do this? And How do i go about doing it? I am afraid it may break the whole thing... would it?! HELP! Also After I am finished will I have to reglaze the entire thing? How do I make the edges even again. If anyone knows the best way to go about doing this let me know!
THANKS

Old 10-13-08, 04:39 PM
C
Received 131 Votes on 105 Posts
You may want to rethink your project. The only time I adjusted the size of a cast iron tub it was done with a 14 lb sledge.

Old 10-13-08, 04:41 PM
J
Cast iron is soft, to a sawzall bimetal blade, cuts like butter(very hard butter). You will probably have to have it reglazed, but consider power coating, similar results but likely cheaper.

UMMMMM, what is it you are trying to accomplish?????

Old 10-15-08, 09:27 AM
C
Torches? They're fun, but hard to get a clean cut with.

Old 10-16-08, 08:04 PM
You will need a German made Metabo cutoff saw. Get a 6in model and a hand full of cutoff blades and you can cut thru any type of ferrous and nonferrous metal very easily. You will also need a fireproof tarp and a good fire extinquisher as the cutoff blade will produce sparks. Talking about a hot knife thru butter you have never seen anything cut metal like a Metabo GIT U SUM

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: