Spray paint over varnish on kitchen cabintes

Old 10-16-08, 10:37 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Spray paint over varnish on kitchen cabintes

My kitchen cabinets are about 40 years old. 10 years back, I refreshed the natural wood stained look, and brushed on varnish to seal it.
Now, my wife wants me to add deco molding to the doors, and paint them off-white.
Can I sand the varnish and spray paint the doors with the off-white spray cans she found to match her colors?

Last edited by Curtodc; 10-16-08 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-16-08, 12:58 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 850 Upvotes on 746 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

If I understand correctly - you want to paint the entire door, not just the new moulding?

It would be best to apply either an oil base or pigmented shellac primer first.

Old 10-16-08, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
In my limited experience, it can be hard to get a nice even finish on larger flat surfaces using rattle cans, even under the best conditions. Much depends on the type of paint and spray valves as well.

I'm sure the experts will give some pointers.

Old 10-16-08, 02:17 PM
S
This is doable but I'd sand as stated just scuff sanding the gloss and also agree with priming.You can find spray oil primers that would work if spraying is the way you want to go but this is not spray primer that is usually found where spray paint is located.This is a spray version of oil based wall primer and is usually located where interior and exterior primers are located.Kilz has one and so do many other lines.

If you don't have much experience with spray paint I'd buy a couple of sacrifice cans and practice since these are kitchen cabinets you want to come out nice.You want to hold the can around a foot away from the surface,any closer and you'll get runs.You want to basically mist the paint on moving the can in an even motion back and forth.

You'll have to remove the doors and you'll probably get a better job with them upright than laying down but it can also be a preference thing and again I'd waste a can or two practicing.

Use upper level quality spray paint.Cheaper brands and products have much less pigment in them and are overall formulated to cut corners to meet a price point.

Some of the newer versions of upper quality products also have adjustable nozzles and such that make for a nicer easier job.

Old 11-15-08, 06:47 AM
B
Cool

Spdavid has it down. One thing I would do before sanding is to clean the surface to remove any oil or wax with TSP or deglosser. Skipping this step can cause fish-eyes in the finish. This is when the paint opens in small spots and leaves a small hole in the finish. Sanding over oil or wax can grind them into the surface.

Beer 4U2

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: