Wilsonart Solid Surface Vertical

Old 10-20-08, 08:00 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wilsonart Solid Surface Vertical

I just purchased a house that has the countertops from Wilsonart & they are their old model called SSV 9Solid Surface Vertical). Does anyone know where to get this product duplicated???? I know Wilsonart discontinued this product several years ago. I just added 1 42" cabinet to the kitchen & I am not about to pull all the other countertops so I need to find a close solution. The stock number from the SSV is 621525-61

Old 10-20-08, 08:13 PM
T
Each year countertop manufacturers add and drop offerings. Wilson Art and Formica are two major manufacturers of countertop and flooring products. You can take a look at cureent offerings among different manufacturers for a close match, but it will tend to be unlikely that you will find a close match.

Perhaps you can feature the 42" cabinet with a specialty counter and backsplash and cabinet trim to make it look special, custom, and like a piece of furniture added to the design. If you were able to match the cabinets, you were lucky. Cabinets manufacturers also tend to drop and add new products to enchance the market. If countertop and cabinet manufacturers did not do this, then they would never have 'dated' kitchens and they could not sell consumers new and updated products. It's called built-in obsolesence. Looking for discontinued products tends to be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Old 10-20-08, 10:02 PM
C
Ssv

Solid Surface VENEER was made for Wilsonart by Aristech Acrylics under contract. It suffered from a high failure rate because of delaminations from the particle board core. Wilsonart withdrew it from the market, then went through a rather tortuous process of refunds and replacements. This was probably 6 or 7 years ago. The colors offered were the same as their regular 1/2" solid surface, so there's a good chance it would still be available in 1/2". If you have a small piece, take it to a store that sells Wilsonart Gibraltar to see if you can match it. It would be very easy to fabricate the top to look exactly like the SSV tops. Be careful not to set anything hot on the SSV as it could cause delamination from the core material.
After Wilsonart dropped it from their line, Aristech Acrylics began marketing it under the name Acrystone Solid Surface 1/8". It's available as 30" or 36" X 144" sheets, or as prebonded panels. Good luck finding it

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: