Wainscoting meets wall tile, how to "finish"

Old 10-21-08, 09:36 PM
Wainscoting meets wall tile, how to "finish"

I'm in the process of remodeling our main bathroom. There is tile on the walls a little over 4' up. The tile isn't too bad but i'm putting in a pedestal sink where the old vanity sink used to be so there is a big space of un-tiled wall so I decided to put wainscoting up over the tile except for in the tub area. What should I put up where the wall tile butts up against the wainscoting to give it a finished look. I just can't see leaving it bare especially since i'm putting the wainscoting over the existing tile so it will be a little bit thicker right there......

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-08, 03:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes Received: 2
If you haven't done it yet, let's look at your problem and see if there may be a better alternative. In the area where there is missing tile, would it be possible to install a decorative, contrasting, or matching tile. You may have to remove some tile to make it symmetrical, but it would make for at smoother transition and you won't like the wainscotting, period.

Old 10-22-08, 07:07 AM
I haven't put it up yet but i've already purchased and primed it so taking it back isn't an option. The tile isn't bad but isn't kind of dated and something I don't want to keep up either. I don't mind it in the shower until we can get something else. We are re-financing and have an upcoming appraisal so we needed a quick fix and this seems like the quickest fix we could think of that will stil look good.

Old 10-22-08, 04:19 PM
anyone else have an idea???

Old 10-22-08, 04:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How about some quarter round like you find on baseboards?

Old 10-22-08, 05:21 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 131
Originally Posted by lucky8926 View Post
i'm putting the wainscoting over the existing tile so it will be a little bit thicker right there......
IMO, that's your first mistake. First, remove all the tile from the areas you will be installing wainscoting, so that it will stick to the wallboard and basically be at the same level as the tile. Removing the tile is not that difficult. You will probably want a rabbeted cap over the edge of the wainscoting or a finish j moulding that will slip over the wainscoting. In either case, the tile will butt into that cap or finish j and get a fine bead of sealant where the two meet.