Dap quick seal breaks down?

Old 10-30-08, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Dap quick seal breaks down?

Hi

I have re caulked the joint between the ceramic and the tub twice with Dap Kwik Seal, and it just crumbles away. Did it just as the package says, cleaning, applying and 36 hour wait.,

Have i got a bad tube"s", ? I can't call them until tomorrow, business hours,

I just regrouted the ceramic tile , applied silicone sealer, to grout, wiped down as per instructions.

Never had this issue with Dap before?
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-08, 07:15 AM
Although it's possible your tube was exposed to freezing temps etc during shipping,the simple truth is that Kwik Seal is not that great a product.You could still have a residue on the surface causing a lack of bonding but if you did what it says then I would doubt that.

I'd be interested in what Dap tells you.Dap is now part of a multiproduct conglomerate that owns many of the names mentioned on this site.

If you want real long lasting results you'll need to use silicone.This will last far longer and is more mildew resistant.It is more difficult to work with and clean up but probably worth the effort.All brands will perform well.Some prefer GE but even a Dap labeled product is fine.

Old 10-31-08, 07:41 AM
I am personally fond of PolyseamSeal Adhesive Caulk......available at the home centers.

The only thing I've found that doesn't crack (besides pure silicone)....

spdavid echo's my opinion.....Never had anything from DAP that have been impressed with....Made a mistake of using their concrete caulk.....what a mistake!!!! ....Now I have to grind, etch to get that (*&^$##$ stuff off.

Good Luck!

Old 10-31-08, 06:17 PM
Unhappy dap

thanks

dap told me that kwik seal is latex, and with a silicone grout sealer, the latex kwik set will not work,,

100% silicone is needed, so then i called ge on their kitchen bath slicone, told them the whole story, and i have to clean with 91% rubber alcohol, i used 70 %, ,was what i had,

so now the next venture begins

"beware" do not use latex to adhere to silicone" is what i am made aware of,

Old 10-31-08, 06:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Of utmost importace, your surface and the surfaces under it must be DRY, completely DRY, so once you think you have it cleaned, set a fan forced heater on low, or a fan in the area and let it dry completely before you apply the silicone. I also prefer GE Silicone II for such an application.

Old 10-31-08, 07:07 PM
Wink Dap

Thanks

That is the same product i have now,

surfaces were clean and dry, in the process of that again,

the 91% alcohol dries super fast anyway, i use the 70% for ink cartridges for cleaning on the printer.

i did the fans before also,

will do it again

thanks for the reply

Old 11-01-08, 04:32 PM
Smile dap

After using the GE 100% silicone 2, i can't imagine why anyone would use anything else?

I spent all day cleaning, digging, vacuuming the dust, and wiping with 91% alcohol, fan going all day prior to application, now 24 hours wait.

i just can't imagine there being a problem now.

thanks