Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Remodeling home...consult architect or interior designer first?

Remodeling home...consult architect or interior designer first?

Old 11-01-08, 12:22 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Remodeling home...consult architect or interior designer first?

I am planning on remodeling our very tiny galley kitchen and adjoining family room by expanding out about 8 feet. The problem is, neither one of us has an eye for what goes together. We both know what we like/don't like when we see it, but just aren't creative enough to coordinate things on our own.

So, are we better off getting an interior designer's perspective first, or hiring an architect? Are architects trained in any way to help people decide on things like what countertop color looks best with a particular cabinetry color? On the flip side, would an interior designer be aware of things like plumbing & electrical requirements/codes? This is the home we plan on staying in for at least the next 15 years, until our children finish school, so we'd like to make it very much "ours".

Can anyone help?
Old 11-01-08, 06:00 PM
pmgca's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: CANADA
Posts: 867
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi graybroks,

I can help you with the answer to your design question and explain the role of an Architect. As a matter of fact, I am an Architect

An Architect is trained to design an entire building, or a part of it, or the interior / exterior, landscape, etc. Of course, not all the Architects are specialized in all subjects. In addition, an Architect is trained to deal with structural issues (and assume the liability), so, if your project involves the building or demolition of walls, foundations, roofs, etc, an Architect is the right professional to call. Just confirm if this Architect is also specialized in interiors. In this case, yes, the Architect deals with colors, counters, etc
Now if your project involves only cabinets, counters, etc, you can call an Interior Design professional or an Architect. Both will do a good job

There is an interesting article published by the AIA (American Association of Architects) called "How Design Works"
How Design Works for You :: AIA

In addition, consider the possibility of a 3D software to help you with the visualization. There are some inexpensive programs and others are free (Try Sketchup by Google)
Old 11-14-08, 03:25 AM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 36,607
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
For ideas consult an interior decorator. For structural changes consult an architect. But it is the contractor who brings it all together in a sensible form. Sometimes decorators and architects put things on paper that can't be done, or will need changes in the real world. That is where it is imperative to have a competent contractor to make it happen. This is not a come-down on designers or architects, by no means as we all have things to do. You just didn't go far enough in your request to cover all the bases.
Old 11-16-08, 09:33 AM
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 204
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I would start with an architect. Some are good at the design things, while others just focus on structural and layout. If you need more advice, then go with a designer.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: