Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Discount granite for kitchen...your thoughts on this new product??

Old 11-02-08, 05:38 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

We are looking to renovate the kitchen in our condo in anticipation of selling next spring. We obviously want to limit our expense while improving the appearance of our kitchen. Yesterday, we went to a discount home store that was selling these granite countertops: The Murano Collection : Home for $10-$25/sf.

It seems that they keep the cost down by offering the 2 cm granite slabs and this modified sink that does not require the need for a sink hole to be cut. The majority of buyers in my area are first-time buyers (like I was several years ago) and may not notice the difference in the sink. But, I definitely don't want to spend time and money on something that is likely to give the new owners nothing but problems in the future.

I was just wondering if any one had seen this product and had any thoughts on its benefits/limitations. I would appreciate any advice/warnings you might have!

Old 11-02-08, 07:03 AM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Im not a countertop guy, but have seen many installed. The thickness I usually see for granite is 3cm, however I notice that this stuff is only 2cm. I thought, that for 2cm you need an underlayment like plywood, but there is no mention on the website. This product appears to be geared towards diyers, however I didnt see any installation instructions on their website. Did I miss them?

Old 11-12-08, 05:37 PM
R
We sell 2 cm Silestone quite frequently. It is significantly cheaper than the 3 cm product, and it often times looks much better than the 3 cm alternative.

Thanks,
Rob

Last edited by GregH; 11-12-08 at 06:01 PM. Reason: remove link
Old 11-12-08, 09:07 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Underlayment for support is recommended if 2 cm granite.

Old 11-16-08, 09:40 AM
A
granite

Another idea is to go to a granite fabricator and ask about their discounted slabs. Most have ones that have imperfections (maybe a small crack line that would be in the back of your countertop and not be noticeable) or that were cut wrong, so they sell them at a discount. We did this with a bathroom and got a nice double bowl top for about $400.

Old 11-16-08, 04:12 PM
I'd prefer a perfect but cheap material option instead of an "almost perfect" expensive option, specially for kitchen counters.
A crack, even in the bottom of the counter, makes it weak, and in addition, depending of the location of the imperfection or crack, it will accumulate dirt

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: